Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 05 int 4300 with the dt466 in it have codes for the

Customer Question
cam and crank no signal...
I have a 05 int 4300 with the dt466 in it have codes for the cam and crank no signal. I have replace engine harness and crank sensor swap out ecm and I'd with a test one performed a hertz test on both cam and crank tested wires from crank to ecm and from cam to ecm all good it's been in my shop for about a month plz help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/1/2016
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will try to help you with this

will it start on starting fluid ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Won't start but will fire over

HI

so you are saying that it will not start on fluid

are you getting any smoke form exhaust pipe

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No unless wile shoot either at it

Hi

Did you replace the IPR valve ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we have not but how would that control your cam and crank signals

Hi

if you replace the sensors , checked the harness

swapped out ECM, that is all the is left

I suggest to do that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will give it a try have to put truck back together first

OK, let me know

if the crank and cam sensor were faulty

it would not start on fluid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No good

Morning

Still won't start

I am going to opt-out and pass this to another expert

don't reply or rate me ,locks question back to me

Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What scanner are you using for the codes on those 2 sensors?

There are times when you get too low of oil in the rail and you crank for a long time, those code will come up, but that isn't the issue with the engine. The engine just throws those codes because you are cranking for a long time and the ECM will cut power to them because you are cranking for a long time and the ECM times out.

If you are using a International scanner, what is the ICP reading on the actual versus the desired? On the pulse check in the program, are you getting the pulses from the 2 sensors?

When you installed them, did you use spacers?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A snap on proline with international software has about 650 actual but not giving me I desire and then though codes would make sense then except I have no engine speed when cracking and no rpms on dash

Oh, that adds to the issues...

With no RPM, you certainly are not get a reading for some reason.

Were spacers used to push the sensors away from the tone pickups?

At 650 psi for the crank, you should be getting injector fire, but with no read, it won't allow it.

If you are getting a good read on the harness to the sensors and back, I would move on from there and start checking for output from the ECM at the 5 volt to 9 volt ref to the sensors and then see if you are getting a true 0 ground on the return. The issue could be internal of the ECM and not the harness. I've seen that multiple times. on the 04 to 09 models.

CLICK HERE for CMP

CLICK HERE for CKP

Use those to pin test that you have the voltage coming out for the 5 volt v ref going to the sensors to rule out power side issues on the ECM. Then check again on the ground to rul out ground issues in the ECM.

If you are goo there and you are good on the sensors, then checck the oil pressure to get the manual reading. If you are good there and not throwing IDM codes or the IDM fuse isn't blown, then I would get the truck reflashed on the ECM and ESC to make sure something didn't lose programming and isn't matching up properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've swapped the ecm and Idm already so I know it isn't that and put a brand new engine harness on it

The only other thing that is could be is either the sensor is spaced too far from the gear to read or there is an issue with the teeth, like one partially missing and it is reading 58 instead of 59 or something.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only way to tell is to pull trans right?

No, you drop the pan. The gear is on the inside mounted on the crank.

The engine can run without the CMP once it is started, but not the CKP. It has to have that to start the injector firing and to give you the RPMs on the dash.

I would pull the CKP, measure the depth with a depth gauge, then check the sensors and see that they are within the .1 of an inch to .15. Then go through the inspection hole on the transmisison and mark a tooth for rotation, then crank and see if you have broken teeth looking through the hole. That can be done without dropping.

CMP

CKP

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll give it a shot won't see the truck till Tuesday though

I understand. 3 day weekend.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has all of its teeth nothings bent or chewed and sensor gap is correct

The only thing left to try since the harness and sensor are new is to reprogram. All else was done.

You would have to have some serious interference or maybe a terminating resistor gone bad, but if you are able to read the code, the resistor is good for that won't be able to be done if the resistor was bad.

I would reflash and then see what you get.

This issue is certainly an unusual issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But if we swapped ecm wouldn't that solved it

It should have on the ECM, unless there is an issue in the ESC, but the ESC shouldn't interfere. The ESC would only cause the RPM drop out, but not the CMP/CKP drop out.

This one is really odd.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tell us about it so your telling me to take the ecm off and have it sent out to get looked at
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician