Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

My fan comes on with check engine light and engine brake

Customer Question
quits working 09 Pete 387...
My fan comes on with check engine light and engine brake quits working 09 Pete 387 425 ISX.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/29/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Christopher, My name is***** will be glad to help. What are the complete code numbers you are getting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way to pull codes without a computer
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Try cruise off key on and hold set/resume until the check engine light begins flashing the 3 digit code. Short pauses between each digit and a longer pause between each code. It will repeat. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key turned to on truck off cruise switch off and held resume and set both ways and get nothing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems like when the coolant temp drops below 185 deg the engine brake stops working after it gets back above that it starts working again
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Click on this link for the flash code procedure. If it does not work a scan tool would need to be connected.

Flash codes

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

That is odd. Possible unrelated but could be temperature related. Do you have access to a scan tool that reads live data or Cummins Insite to be able to check the ECM parameters and historical faults logged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago so don't have the money for that yet I have talked to peterbilt and they haven't heard of it either. I do know it was hooked up at home and it had 360 hits on something to do with the crankshaft but that's all I know. Are the fan and engine brake tied together in any way?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you losing speedo or tach at all indicating a loss of engine speed signal or vehicle speed signal to the ECM?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

The only common link between the fan and engine brake is the ECM but the two circuits are unrelated.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Click this link for some troubleshooting help for the engine brake. The rest will need to be accessed with Cummins Insite to monitor switch status, etc.

Troubleshooting

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could this be and ecm issue how do I know if software is up to date
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

any Cummins authorized dealer can look this up by your engine serial number. Records of all updates go into a main system for all Cummins authorized service centers to access. Yes it is possible this could be ECM related.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson