Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

C-7 cat motor. Driving last week and motor shut down. Tack

Customer Question

c-7 cat motor. Driving last week and motor shut down. Tack dropped to zero. Had service truck come. Claimed batt. voltage low. Noticed when key is turned on wait to start light did niot come on as well intake heated silonoid did not click. tried a short shot of either and it fired. After several hours turned key back on and wait to start light came on and heard heater click. M<otor started. Made it three miles then quit again. Got towed home. Change all filters and alternator. Started truck several times that day and all seemed well. Left for work today and made it tw. miles and it shur down again. L:ike shutting off key. Power seemed normal and motor did not misss. After several minutes the wait to start light came on again and I made it one mile. Got towed home. Six hours later went out and wait to start light came on again but did not try to start as working on fuel tank. So the basic is when light and check engine light do not come on motor will not start.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I wlii have to go out and pull and cleaner off tomorrow to get them.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. what are you getting for fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes. I went out this morning and I had to turn the switch on three times before the wait to start light would come on. Shut off and waited three minutes and tried it again and it would nit come on. as with check engine light.

Sounds like a loss of power or ground to the ECM. Check the inline fuses between the battery box and engine ECM for a blow fuse or corrosion and damage. Check your fuses and relays and for power in and out of the ignition switch for a possible faulty /worn ignition switch. Let me know

Also click on this link for a diagram to help with your power and ground pinouts at the ECM.

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The schematic which you sent me, I cannot enlarge. Please advise. David

I tried it on my end and it works to 6400% enlargement... It is a PDF so there must be something going on with your Adobe program. Try updating your adobe and then trying. Click below as I took a snapshot. The + and - at the top of the screen are to enlarge and shrink the document. Let me know