Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 2001 International 4700, I purchased in and drove

Customer Question

I have a 2001 International 4700, I purchased in and drove it 6 hours with no problem, got it home painted it, cleaned it, started it up and all of a sudden it shut off as if I had turned it off.. I turned the key and it was dead,. I placed the key in the off position came back 5 minutes later and it fired back up, a nice clean start up, then again it stalled... It stalled as if I had manually shut it off... Sensor, what could it be....
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 11 months ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Thanks for your question . Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? Also , what was painted ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Andy, thanks for your help. The VIN# *****We painted the cab white, and the back LPG tank white. We simply purchase it - drove it down 6 hours cleaned it up washed it painted it.. And now this
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's starts up really well, like a champ, oil levels are fine. So are all the other levels of fluids. When it fires up it sounds great, then all of a sudden it shuts down by its self as if I had shut it off by key. When I go to fire it back up it will crank but won't start. Step away for 5 minutes and bam it will fire up with out a problem, then 5 secs later it will do the same......
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's the DT444E it has 300k on miles, and the engine is clean. No leaks, nothing. i did poke the little fuel valve above fuel filter as it was gunning to make sure full was flowing and it was squirted fuel out with pressure... Someone else posted that maybe the fuel level has to be higher.. Adding that the suction of the fuel when too low get clogged with trash in the tank... Causing it stall. This morning I am going to add more fuel. I think it's at a quarter tank. The guy that posted it said "that on his truck once the fuel level gets to a 1/4 tank bam he can keep it running...If this could be the cause how do I test this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Problem solved. It needed more fuel, had 5 inches of fuel in it.. Assuming trash in tank clogging the suction line. Soon as I fueled it up to half a tank the problem went away, truck stayed on..So can I get my money back being that I never resolved here after all??????
Expert:  Andy replied 11 months ago.

Hi there . Sorry for the delay but had issues at home . I see that you were able to figure this out . Good for you sir ! If you do not accept my answer , then i won't receive anything at my end . All good . Thanks for getting back to me . Take care and hope you will try us out again sometime . Take care !