Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have 2 codes first one is mid 128 sid 27 fmi 7 and the

Customer Question

I have 2 codes first one is mid 128 sid 27 fmi 7 and the other is mid 128 pid 411 fmi 7
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2008 volvo d13
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am and nothing this has been on the truck for several months
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok great
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: umm just that it is using oil and also have over a million miles I am just really wanting to prolong an overhaul
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

That first code is the VGT actuator is not responding or failed. Are you having any power issues at all? If so, I would have the actuator pulled off and see if it id bound up or if the turbo is bound up. Hopefully the turbo is not bound and only the actuator needs to be replaced.

The second code is EGR Differential Pressure - mechanical system not responding or failed. That is all the EGR. Now if the EGR is not responding, it can cause this for the EGR valve would open, but not send enough air through for the sensor to pick it up. It can also have it's own issue as well and the EGR being bad. I would correct the issue with the turbo first since the second code can be from the first. If the first is corrected and the code is still there, then the EGR needs to be checked after.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No loss of power the only thing we are getting is a usage of oil
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

The oil is most likely just worn rings from the mileage on the engine. With the no loss of power, the actuator is all the open which is good, but it's also not closing the vanes cutting it back. That can cause the extra pressure in the engine mac\king the compression go around the rings and in turn you have oil loss that way from the blow by.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what do you suggest doing at this time
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

At this time I would check the turbo actuator. The best way to do that is with the PTT program for the truck can be running and you can have the program go through the full swing test to see what the actuator is doing and you can hear the pitch change on the engine. You can have the EGR checked as well. Takes less than an hour for both tests. You're going to need the PTT program to swap the actuator anyway because it needs to be programmed and calibrated for the full stroke of the turbo. I would get it down and then wait a few weeks then do the EGR only if you have power loss or throw the EGR temp code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok running this test would give me the answers as well that I need also for rings as well correct
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The test will certainly tell you what is needed.