Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Catman". We have recently installed a new ECM on a cat c-15.

Hello "Catman". We have recently...
Hello "Catman". We have recently installed a new ECM on a cat c-15. We are getting two active engine codes. 253-2 and 22-13. The ECM also states it is in test mode for an additional 21 hrs and 41 minutes. Will the codes disappear after the test mode ends? Also these codes were on the original ECM.
8/6/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The test mode will time out after 24 hours.
Code 253-2 indicates something in configuration is not programmed. It could be the rating, serial number, fuel settings, or it could be the injector trim files. Once everything is programmed. The code will go away.
Code 22-13 indicates the timing just be calibrated. A timing probe needs to be inserted in the block and wired to the ECM. Then the timing calibration needs to be done with Cat ET.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
ok, so next question is, when we took the ECM to the dealer they said on the old ecm the internal battery in the ECM may be dead and they might not be able to get the existing calibration into the new ECM. In that case for an extra fee they could download the original calibration from Cat. I don't think they did that. If they had done it that way would we have these codes? Should we take it back and have it done properly?
you are correct. When an ECM battery dies. You can not pull the programming from the dead ECM.
Then it's best to pull the programming from Cat an program it. I would try taking it to them to pull the info. It me be much easier that way.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Also, is it ok to drive like this? The customer needs it back
It will not hurt the engine to drive but it will have derated power. Whenever you have these codes the engine will not have full power. Sorry.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert