Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

VOLVO D13 2013 VIN#DN133763 i beleive its vnl670. has fault

VOLVO D13 2013 VIN#DN133763 i...
VOLVO D13 2013 VIN#DN133763 i beleive its vnl670 . has fault codes as follows,...SPN 4752 FMI 7,,,,SPN 412 FMI 5,,,, SPN 412 FMI 15...PLUS ITS NOT DEFLATING AIR BAGS ALL AIR BAGS ARE EMPTY AND HEIGHT CONTROL SEEMS TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION. ANY HELP. ON THE AIR BAGS ISSUE AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. ?
7/28/2016
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

SPN 4752 FMI 7 is EGR Cooler Efficiency code. The EGR cooler is plugged or damaged. Careful for if you do clean the cooler or replace it and the code doesn't clear, the front valve can cause this. However, the cooler is the fault 95% of the time.

SPN 412 FMI 5 EGR Temp high. Sever Level. This is related to the cooler.

SPN 412 FMI 15 EGR Temp high, least severe level. Again, due to the cooler.

On the air bags, see if you are getting power to the dump valve from the switch when you change the switch over. You didn't write a code for it so I'm presuming the switch is good and the signal is being sent. The issue will be in the air valve/electrical solenoid for the air bag dump.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I fixed the air issue. But for egr do I have to replace it ? I don't have computer software for volvo I have worked on Cummins b4.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has only 370k miles

It's not the EGR, it is the cooler. The cooler is most likely plugged and causing the EGR to get too hot.

I would flush it at a radiator shop or replace it. If you see coolant in it, replace it.

You don;t need a computer hook up for the EGR cooler.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mileage is pretty low for it to go bad? Is it like Cummins cooler lol?

Similar to the cummins cooler. This one has 2 EGR valves on it. You'll see it on the right side of the engine.

I've seen them crack at 50k miles and plug up in the low 100s several times, so no on the mileage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I tell if I need to replace it. Truck not loosing any coolant yet no debate either just check engine light is on for these codes

It's plugged and causing overheating. It may not be cracked to burn coolant, but it's plugged and not letting the gas go through the internal fins and cooling the gases down.

Problem is if you run it for awhile with it not cooling the gases, it will burn the EGR valve and eventually crack as well.

Right now I think it just needs to be pulled off and flushed out at a radiator shop. That will unplug the fins. It's no different than a plugged radiator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I just wash it off with pressure washer ?

No, you have to flush it internally with a acid wash that will eat away the soot built up from the gases. The fins are internal.

CLICK HERE

This isn't your engine, but if you scroll to the 2nd picture, you'll get an idea of how the coolant flows in the EGR cooler to keep the gases cool. It operates similar to a oil cooler where it is a bunch of tubes with the coolant pipng that all run parallel to each other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called few shops here in Sacramento no one would clean it. They said they only replace . One guy said if cooler is plugged it needs to be tested why it's getting plugged he said my egr valve might be bad or causing it to get excessive soot etc. Can you explain

That is true that the valve can cause more soot, but it's not always a bad valve. Bad fuel can cause excess soot as well. Ask your local radiator shop to clean it. Mine can clean them by dipping them in a aluminum safe acid wash which breaks the soot down.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you list step by step if possible with images to how to remove it looks pretty simple but I think turbo has to come off to take it off ? Please advise

Remove the EGR Valve and then you remove the clamps to remove the cooler, then you can pull it off.

CLICK HERE

Don't forget to rate above, please? thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says invalid pdf file ?

I just checked it and someone else here just checked it. We both are not having any issues and we are 2 separate IPs. Something on your end is blocking it.

You can remove it without removing the turbo. It is just a PITA to do so. Turbo is easy to remove. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold it on after taking the intake hose clap, exhaust, and hoses/wires off. Then undo the clamps for the cooler, the bolts on the front for the valve, then remove.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After cleaning n installing cleaned egr cooler I have these faults 4375 fmi 14 and 4752 fmi 7
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also screeching sound is coming from turbo side when I drive and accelerate same when deaclerating idling doesn't do that. ?

Did you have anyhting come loose and get into the turbo? It sounds like something got into the turbo to be causing that or a plugged oil line...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't do it I had local small shop do it for me. But that sound wasn't there. Especially at high speed it's not the right turbo sound nothing looks loose . I'll have them check oil line too. What else can they check or test ? And why that egr cooler active fault not going away ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was broken clamp fixed it . But code still there with check engine light on.4752 fmi 7

It sound like they messed up the repair.

I can't tell what to do on the next step without looking at the truck because I can't hear the noise.

If you still have the code, you could have a bad EGR or now a damaged turbo, but there should be a EGR code or a turbo code with it on this engine.

Something wasn't done right ifthere is noise. Possibly a nut fell in or something else.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Noise is gone it was broken clamp behind turbo on exhaust port . But the egr cooler efficiency code still active no other code
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no sensors that can cause this?

Sorry for getting back late. I was in the hospital a few days.

The 4752 can only be from the cooler or the EGR. They are the only 2 causes for it. The sensor is the EGR valve sensor and the Delta P. They work together for this code.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician