Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have fun clutch problems when the fan clutch click the

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have fun clutch problems when the fan clutch click the engine light comes on and shuts off
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have 2009 intl prostar with cummins isx
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: It's only when I'm hills and fan clutch click the engine shuts off
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine actually turning off or is it that the engine light comes on when the fan clutch kicks on electronically?

Has anything been checked/tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the fan clutch clicks the engine light comes on the engine shuts off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happens when I'm on hills or mountains
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2009 prostar with isx cummins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they check and they couldn't find anything
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,since the engine light is coming on the first thing that needs done is a scan tool or computer needs to be plugged into your model to read out what fault codes are set with this issue here.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.I suspect the engine computer may be picking up a short from the cooling fan clutch or internal fault causing the light to come on and a stall out since this occurs when the fan clicks on.

You will need to have the codes read out though to help point out which component is the cause needing replaced.If this was checked by a facility that isnt familiar with this model or does not have the correct scan tool to use then this can be why they didnt locate a fault here.

A shorted fan clutch sounds like whats at fault here possibly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You thinks the a/c control sensor and fan clutch thermostat isn't working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or could it be I recently did overhaul to my engine new everything except water pump
Could it be water pump isn't working with new engine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did this occur right after the overhaul was done?If it did then I suspect something may not be connected or connected properly or there is an issue with possibly the water pump needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do think the water pump isn't working right to circulate the cool water to the engine from radiator property
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is very possible.If it isnt working at all or circulating properly this can cause the engine to heat up and the computer can put the engine into a fail safe limp mode and can shut it down.I would have the water pump checked into to see if this is the cause here needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check the water pump or replace it and I will if the problem go away
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question it's illegal to replace isx cummins to cummins N14
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or legal to replace isx cummins to cummins n14
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to that myself.That is something you may need to speak to a dealer on to find out the legalities of.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Thanks Pete