Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

My 671 in a old New York Garbage truck will die and start

Customer Question

My 671 in a old New York Garbage truck will die and start right up after 30 minutes of use.
Oil pressure and temp good. All I have to do it press the start switch it will run if I moving.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

6-71 as in Detroit diesel? What kind of kill does it have? Cable or a electric solenoid?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Or is this an old Mack?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electric solenoid not a Mack
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Detroit? solenoid has to pull to kill engine. Is it getting voltage to it from somewhere other than a push button? If you remove wire from the solenoid, will engine still shutoff?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check in the morning thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check it out next week
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

oK> Back in town.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a loose connection on a switch on top of the motor that has 4 wires attached. I cannot locate the shutoff solenoid on the motor, I will try it again soon to test if the loose wires is the problem. Sorry about the wait it has been raining not moving hay with the machine. Jerry
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'm retired and work from home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The loose connection did not fix the problem I found a 3 x 5 box under the dash that had + - and signal connections I took the Signal wire off no problems so far I cannot get access to fuel solenoid to work with it. I suspect a sender problem how do the 3 wire senders function to test them. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Three wire sender usually has two switches, one side will be N/O, the other N/C. So one will be open, the other closed in test with wires off.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

I saw question today, and thought I would check on it. Did you reach a conclusion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just tonight had that issue again with the truck every 40 seconds the engine will die if you hit the start button it will keep running. This happens after running for approximately 1 hour engine oil and water temp ok

OK< did you ever test the sensor ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is a 4 wire sensor on the water manifold how does it work. And there is two wire sender for the guage

Four wire sensor will be a two switch sensor, with one being N/O, and the other N/C. ,The gage sender is just for gage and has nothing to do with shutdown, it is just a sender that varys current to show temp rise and fall.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cleaned the radiator my temp was on the high side in the green on the gauge. That is when I had the problems. Could the 4 wire sensor be too sensitive. The motor does not boil over or overheat.
Where can I get a switch to replace it.