Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a truck onthe side of the road with the following…

I have a truck...

I have a truck onthe side of the road with the following code,

Mechanic's Assistant: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

MID 128 PID 110 FMI 000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?

And 128 014 000

Anyone there?
7/21/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is they year make and model truck and engine model?

2010 Volvo2010 Volvo CumminsISX(###) ###-####Volvo 670,sorry
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• Obstructed radiator
  • Failed Temp sensor
  • Plugged vent lines
  • Aerated coolant
  • Other cooling system failure

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 151
PID: P110
SPN: 110
FMI: 0/0

Engine Coolant Temperature High - Critical. Engine coolant temperature signal indicates engine coolant temperature above engine protection critical limit.

Progressive engine speed increasing in severity from time of alert. If the Engine Protection Shutdown feature is enabled, engine will shut down 30 seconds .

Is that second fault definitely 128 in the front of it for engine ECU?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Thank you. The 110 fault is what is shutting the truck down for coolant temp. The possible causes are listed above. Check the coolant level, belts, fan hub for proper operation, cooling system for leaks or restrictions, etc.

No leaks, belts are brand new and has plenty of fluid....fan hub could be an issue, driver is 15 miles from shop. Should she drive it there?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

What is the engine temp currently? The engine will shut itself down with that fault

If the engine is not running too hot and the ECM is not shutting it down yes

It did shut down but is currently at 190
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

A faulty water pump could be an issue as well but usually will leak at the weep hole

Okay, If the temps stay in range then yes she should be fine getting to the shop. If it shuts down she will have to wait until the temps lower enough to run again

If they are going up instantly then it would not be drivable as it would be shutting down to frequently to get her there.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Once you are satisfied with the information you have been provided, please take a moment to rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on the site.

Daniel Wilson
could it be a bad radiator?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

If there are no leaks it could be a restriction of either air flow or internal with coolant flow. also if the core is corroded and the fins coming off or falling apart it will not cool properly

a visual inspection, cleaning and flush will determine this. It could be a faulty thermostat if the coolant level is good and the water pump and radiator test good.

Have the complete system pressure tested