Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Is there an internal solenoid on a or in a governor on an

Customer Question

Is there an internal solenoid on a or in a governor on an 8.2 detroit engine.
Another way to ask the question: does the electric governor on an 8.2 detroit have an internal solenoid.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

On a truck engine, the 8.2 would have an external fuel shutoff solenoid. WHat is application and what are the numbers on the governor? On truck engine , there would not be an internal solenoid. What kind of problem do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply, Curtis. there is no external on this one. this is an electric governor. P/N(###) ###-#### ***** Another number on it was SN29885965 12V. There is no external solenoid. Does that electric governor shut the fuel off. We aren't sure what the problem is. we drove it, parked it. went to start it up and it cranks but won't fire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's the pic
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I have never been into one of theses, But what is the two bolt part, with wire harness to it, just to the right of the governor fork? The 8.2 has mechanical fuel rack. Unless this is different.?? So it would have to have some means of pulling rack to no fuel position. My manual does not cover the electric governor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea either. I see from the picture what you are talking about though. nobody can tell me if this electrically shuts the fuel off or turns the fuel on. I have gone to local diesel truck mechanics, asked around and nobody knows what it does. it's stuck in my driveway at this point. thank you curtis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

check for voltage to it. and see if it is getting voltage when key is turned on. I have to believe it is solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no solenoid in it-- inside or outside (it's gotta be something electronic). there is voltage going to it though
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The linkage with the forks, they should be moving the fuel racks on each head, what is moving these forks? Or can you move the forks manually and get engine to fire? Should be an off position and run position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and when I pull the arms back it runs until I let them go
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So it has to be governor problem. Are you getting battery voltage to the governor?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

When did it last work? Seems like there should be something else that would work the fork?? Or is the part that goes through the housing, have something to do with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's electronic -- The throttle link does not connect mechanically to the injector arm I'm finding this out as I take it apart
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

something has to change it from electronic to the mechanical linkage. ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running to the corner to grab a special tool . The linkage is hooked up to a coil magnet I will send you a picture in a few minutes Thank you Curtis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The throttle turns the lever that im pointing at and then the dark bubbly looking circle sends current to the circuit board. Somehow through the circuitboard, it energizes these red wires, which makes the magnet move.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So magnet is ok? And power to the governor control. But no output from governor to magnet when on the engine. Engine will not start because the magnet doesn't get signal from the control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Addressing your last sentence .. Correct . Or the magnet could be bad . Whether or not the magnet is OK is unknown
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if it gets battery voltage or it has to vary?