Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

CumminsDr please... I Have a CM870 ISX.. it has an oil leak

Customer Question
that runs all down and...
CumminsDr please... I Have a CM870 ISX.. it has an oil leak that runs all down and around the oil filter housing, its coming from above it. from what i can tell it looks like its seeping through the Tubes on the egr cooler that push in to the block, right under #2 exhaust port.. is that possible? is oil in there? no oil in coolant or anything. just visible oil leak on side of block
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/15/2016
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago
Jackie Dempsey

Hello there! I know you requested Cummins DR but I just saw this post and thought I would assist ;) If you are seeing oil from below the #2 exhaust port I would recommend removing the exhaust manifold and inspecting your valve guide seals. Sounds like you may have a leak there. Once the manifold is removed shine a flashlight into the port, you will see the valve guide, if there is oil present then the guides need to be resealed. Otherwise ensure that it is not a head gasket leak. I hope that helped! If you have additional questions please ask! If you would like to provide your engine serial number I can pull up a diagram to better assist you with the exact oil and coolant flow of your engine. Have a great weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nooo i didnt say it was coming from exhaust port. right under #2 there is a tube coming off of the egr cooler. that tubes pushes in to the block. its about 2 inches under manifold. i used the #2 description to try and help visualize where my leak is coming from.. around that tube off the egr cooler that pushes in to the block, it looks like there is oil coming from around it. is it possible for oil to seep from there. its running all down the cooler towards the back and down in and around oil filter housing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
esn 79147003
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

ah ok im sorry! totally read that wrong! are we talking about the vent tube off of the thermostat housing to the cooler? right near the heat shield?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From the thermostat housing there's a tube that runs across with the cooler. But right where it starts dropping down off of the housing there is a small steel braided line that screws to a fitting on top of egr cooler. Behind that line is a tube that looks like it's pushed in to the block. Where it goes in to the block I see oil around there
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Oh ok, im sorry I hadn't meant to confuse anything, no there should not be any oil pertaining to any of the egr cooler lines or the cooler itself. Have you done a pressure test of the egr cooler?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i have not. there is no coolant in oil or anything....http://www.frontiertruckparts.com/storage/frontier/pictures/505-10796-3.JPG?maxwidth=800&maxheight=600those are the two tubes i am am talking about. looks like oil is leaking around them where they go in to the block
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you for the picture, no there should not be any oil there. My question however is that are you sure it is oil? I know that sounds strange but there is a slight chance it could be soot. Usually you would see that on the other side of the cooler, however if the cooler is bad then it is possible thats the problem. When was the cooler last changed? I advise to do a pressure test just to confirm it has not failed. Wont always have symptoms with a cooler failure right off the bat

Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

OR you can remove the exhaust inlet to the cooler and see if it is wet

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah im starting to think maybe soot wet with coolant right?? if it is wet it could be my cooler is going bad.. no idea when it was last replaced.... OR maybe the o rings there are mad and im seeing wet soot????
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Yep exactly, soot mixed with coolant looks very much like oil. But there should not be any on that side of the cooler at all, sounds to me like a bad cooler :)

Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Also if you touch the substance in question, wet soot will have a thin gritty sort of texture, as opposed to oils thicker slimy texture if that helps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there shouldnt be any what, Soot? on the front side of cooler.....
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

well it shouldnt be wet on the front side or the rear

Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

wet soot is a definite sign of a failed cooler

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. got it., let me go do an inspection....
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds good, let me know what you find

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
took front accordion/flex tube off of egr cooler. i dont see any wet soot in there, run my finger in it And its only dry soot....
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok well that is a good sign then! Can you do the same for the outlet? If it is dry on the outlet side as well I highly recommend doing a pressure test of the cooler itself. Or you can try removing the tube and verifying that the leak is coming from inside the tube. If you do not find black inside of the tube itself then perhaps it is coming from above the line after all. sometimes it is hard to tell.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which tube are you talking about?
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

The tube where the oil leak in question is present

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thats what i thought, lol. just making sure... you said, " perhaps it is coming from above the line" which line are you talking about? the small line off of the tube dropping down from thermostat housing??
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

The oil that you are seeing, is it directly around the fitting to the block or are there any signs of it elsewhere?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's all above the oil filter housing. But I can see it seeping from the bottom tube of the cooler... remember in the pic it looked like it had two tubes.. well I see it around the top one and forsure on the bottom one... from there it's all over the place all down the cooler, down the block and all
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok so then for sure it is originating from the cooler itself? It really sounds as tho the cooler should be removed, inspected and tested

Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello! I hope I was able to assist you with your question yesterday! If you have any additional questions please let me know. When you are ready please take a moment to rate my services. Thank you, ***** ***** great weekend

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I attached a picture of where it's leaking from. What I thought was oil was just road grime and coolant rum off from the orings to the tubes I was talking about... so question, coolant does flow through those passages circled in the picture?
Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey