Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Thanks help on the previous question, got a couple of more,

Hey Thanks for the help on...
Hey
Thanks for the help on the previous question, got a couple of more, I am having problems communicating with a C15 on ET my data link is communicating correctly, and I have 12volt power and ground at my J1939, anything else I can look for?
7/12/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
What's your engine serial number?
NXS09603
Thanks for the information.
Let me get a drawing for you. Be back in a few minutes.
K I checked the powers to the ecm I have key switch power and 1 other power I am missing the power on bottom row 6 pins over from key switch, is there a diagram I can see where that gets power from
Thanks
Thanks for the information.
Sorry I do not have a diagram that shows where it comes from. Sorry.
However many times there are fuses in the battery box that the unswitched power comes from. 70 is the key switch wire.What kind of problem are you having with the engine? Is the check engine light on?
Ya most normal truck manufacturers put the fuses in the battery box but not kw, no check engine light just misfire at idle, wanted to run cylinder performance test but cannot communicate with ecm
Thanks for the information.
Yeah all the service tool needs is power, ground, and both data wires. You may want to run your own data wires to communicate.
my data wires ohm out good from ecm connector to 9 pin if I do run my own wires do I back probe into ecm connector or re pin connector
I like to repin. I remove the wires from the ECM.
I have seen data wires short to ground and ohm good but will corrupt the data signal.
K I think before I do that I will borrow my buddies et and try it I have been have problems with my usb link lately will let u know thanks
Ok I ran different data link wires, no communication yet, I unplugged ecm connector to check ata datalink wiring and at ecm connector with meter probe in pin 8 or 9 and other probe to ground I am getting 56 ohms, wouldn't that be a short to ground? or does the ecm read anything off of the ata data link
Thanks for the information. Could be a short. Not sure on the ohms spec. Sorry. It should communicate with wires connected to 8 and 9.
Still fighting that C15 communication with ET, anyway I was working on a older 3176 I asked a question about a couple of weeks ago, ended up putting a new ecm on, that worked engine started, I am getting 3 active codes 42, 56, and 34 when u put a new ecm on do u have to calibrate the eps and other sensors? Thanks
Thanks for the information.
Is this for the 3176? If so.
Yes. Code 42 is check sensor calibrations. This is referring to the boost sensor in the transducer module.
Code 56 is to check customer and system parameters. This normally indicates the rating must be selected or the personality module needs to be programmed.
Code 34 is an engine speed timing fault. The timing sensor should not need calibration after a new ECM.
Ok think I have this traced down for the data link wires on the C15 I check for a short from pin 8 and 9 in harness to all other pins in P1 I am pickup up continuity on certain pins in harness I unplug harness from firewall and from fire wall to ecm connector no continuity on any pins, wiring is ok, from J1939 connector to firewall I am shorting to center pin on J1939 when checking datalink wiring, now if I run a new set of data link wires do they have to be a twisted pair?
Thanks for the information.
Not necessary to be twisted. That's for help fight interference. When I run new wires. I do not twist.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Finally got communication after running data wires, but I am throwing active code 253-2 customer parameters? anything with running new data link wiring to this code
Thanks for the information.
Running the wires should not cause this code. Here is the definition of this code.0253-02 Check Customer or System Parameters (56)Conditions Which Generate This Code:This condition indicates a customer specified parameter or a system configuration parameter that requires programming has not been programmed.System Response:When a new Engine Control Module (ECM) is initially powered up, the following parameters must be programmed in order to avoid this diagnostic code:Full Load Setting (FLS)
Full Torque Setting (FTS)
Vehicle speed calibration
Rating number
Engine serial number
Injector trim files
Note: If the "Rating Number" has not been programmed, the ECM will limit the engine power to 119 kW (160 hp).The ECM may limit the engine speed to low idle.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
but I didn't install a new ecm, ran new datalink wiring to ecm
Yeah I know. But sometimes when the ECM loses power from the batteries being disconnect or the 70 pin connector being removed. They can lose some of there memory.
oh I see, so with my et can I re enter this info?
Just check all those items. If you have a code 253-2. At least one of those items are missing.
Ok, ya I found my injector cal is missing, I know they send a cd with calibration codes when u replace injectors is there a way to get these codes to download from cat?
Thanks for the information.
Yeah I see that often. I can get you the injector trim files. Just get me the 12 digit serial number off the injector. Also get me your email address so I can email the trim file to you.
K may not be today but I will get it to u,
Thanks for all the info
No problem. Also remember to write down the 4 digit confirmation code on the injector. See you soon.
here are the serial numbers off of the injectors my email is***@******.***
#1 5A51048892B9
#2 5A510488889A
#3 A551098628E1
#4 5A510489204B
#5 5A5104890673#6 5A5104890368
another question on this engine can I uprate horse power on this with my et it is at 475 right now thanks
Thanks for the information.
Let me get the files downloaded. Be back shortly with those.
The C15 can be uprated from a 475 to a 550.
Be back shortly.
Sorry for the delay. Your trim files have been sent.
Thanks for the trim files, can I myself with et bump the hp up to 550hp or is that a dealer only ability
After the new flash file has been installed, you will need factory passwords from a dealer to complete the process. If you do not have factory password ***** You will need to take it to the dealer.
I do have factory password ***** do I get the flash file from cat or can u get it to me?
I can send it to you. Be back in a few minutes.Flash file is on the way.
It's a 550 HP with 1850 foot pounds of torque. Just make sure the transmission can handle 1850.
K i will check
10-4
K I got the file in my email downloaded it to my Zip drive where do u go in et to install new file?
You need to select Winflash on the tool bar.
Then select browse. Select the flash file. Then click begin flash at the bottom.
When completed. You will need to return to ET and go to the configuration screen. Then go to system settings at the bottom to find personally module code. Click on it to change. That's when you will need factory passwords.
K thanks
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hey thanks for all your help, everything worked awesome, I will talk to you soon