Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an 07 vnl780 with an ISX. I recently, out of the blue…

I have an 07 vnl780...
I have an 07 vnl780 with an ISX. I recently, out of the blue started having trouble being legal on my steer axle weight. Spec weight is 10900 lbs (bobtail). My steer axle weight is 11700 lbs with tanks half full. I've previously pulled loads up to 45000 lbs legally but picked up a 20000 lb load a couple of weeks ago and the steers axled out at 18000. The only work I've had done was A/C and a L/F steer tire. No air ride on the front. Could a worn spring possibly cause this? Seems unlikely. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as being this close to legal weight on my steers is shutting down my livelihood. Thanks
7/12/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 6 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What is your trailer that you are hauling with? Where is the 5th wheel set?

Volvos always weigh heavy on the steers and that is why it is recommended to have the 5th wheel slid back for the weight to balance better.

53' van. I weighed with an empty trailer, 5th wheel in the rear position, trailer tandems slid up. Weights were steer; 11880 drives; 12820 trailer; 10580 with 150 gal tanks x 2 at half full

When you did the weight with the load, where was the 5th wheel? Ideally on them you want the front pins to be in the 4th to 5th hole and no more forward than that with a dry van trailer. The kingpin is set to far back with most dry vans on the trailers causing the weight to be heavy.

Also when loading, single pallet the nose then doubles the rest to help with the weight. If you do reefer, single, double, single, then double the rest. That puts pallets 23 and 24 at the doors.

I ran my own trucks from 1998 to 2010 and used to own a Volvo in 2004. They all have the same issues with the heavy steer weights.

Te 5th wheel was in the rear position. Previous to this problem I've hauled weights up to 45000 lbs a and was able to get legal with minimal fuel. No air ride on the front of the tractor, just cab and rear. The spec weight for steer in a bobtail configuration is 10900 lbs. my steer weight bobtail is 11700, 800lbs over spec weight. That's with half a tank of fuel.

I gotcha. Spring hangers are good on the front?

Air bags in the rear are good? If you measure from the center pin on the fifth wheel to the ground, what is the height? Are you between 44" and 46" with a 22.5 tire. See if you are higher. This can indicate a broken spring in the front, sag in the front, air bag inflation adjustment too high in the rear, or a bad leveling valve.

I see where the concern is for you were normal and now all the fuel wight is leaning to the front of the vehicle. I see what you are getting at now.

See if you can find someone with a Hunter alignment machine and doe a pre spec on the truck. It will tell you if there is a sag issue by just the frame measurements.

Bags are good and hangers look good. Niall have to take the measurements tomorrow and get back to you. I do have the left side spring a liite

On the Hunter machine you not only put lasers on the wheels, but the 4 corners of the frame and it will tell you where the frame lean is along with fifth wheel height.

Pull the u-bolts and jack the corner up and see if the spring block is broken or if the spring itself is broken. If you have a leaf broken, it will cause a shift in the weight.

Bags are good, hangers look ok. One spring seemed like its worn some. I'll have to take the measurements tomorrow and get back to you.

Sounds good.

Ref fuel weight moving forward. I had a 20000 lb load on. Evenly distributed from front to back. My steer weight was 18000 with the 5th wheel back and half tank of fuel (150 gal tanks). Shouldn't that have moved fuel back or at minimum leveled it out? With an evenly distributed 10000 load my steers were 12100. I did measure the frame in the front and back the other day and it was pretty close to even. Maybe an inch off. Will take more measurements and send to you today.

Was that just with one load? The scale may have been off. Try another load and weight on CAT scale and send a picture of it. 18000 lbs with just 20000 in the trailer spread evenly doesn't seen right at all...

Even with the air bags in the rear inflated fully, it doesn't seem right.

Hi Jeremy,
Please see below the results of putting my truck on the hunter alignment machine however, I don't believe this is the info we were looking for. So I took measurements on all 4 corners of the frame which turned out to be 27.5" on all four corners. The height measurement from the center slot on the 5th wheel is 41". The 5th wheel measurement I took was from the top of the adjustment slot to the ground so with added inches up to the plate makes the trucks 5th wheel height within the 44" to 46" spec you mentioned. So we've eliminated the possibility of fuel shifting to the front of the tanks due to the truck leaning in any direction. so, to summarize we have a level truck that has gained approx 500-800 lbs of weight on the steers for no apparent reason. I really appreciate your help as everyone else has thrown their hands in the air and understandably so, this issue is preventing me from my livelyhood. Is there a next step? can we eliminate any other possibilities? is moving the entire 5th wheel and bracket back about 4 inches an option or would that create a drive axles weight issue?
Did you guys forget about me?

I talked to a quite a few people on this to get some advice as well as engineers that work for us doing accident investigations as well as mechanical wear concerns, no one can seem to know where to go next. Something isn;t right or making sense with the weight changes that you're having from bobtail to fully loaded trailer in legal gross weight.

I am going to opt out because I'm stuck on this and after other that I talked with that work for me (not on this site or related to this site), I just don't know where to proceed.

I will monitor this and hopefully someone else might have ideas on what to check next.

Good luck!

Good day!

I couldn't think of anything else on this at all.

Have you had any luck on the issue? Were you able to find anything?

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hi Jeremy,
Still no luck. Have had the truck at Volvo Dallas who contacted Volvo tech support to no avail. They fixed a leveling valve. No change in steer weight. They noted my steel bumper and APU but I had those on the truck prior to the problem starting. I am satisfied with your service as you did give me ideas. I feel I've exhausted all avenues to the best of my ability to resolve this issue. Now I have a 2007 Volvo that apparently is only good for hauling extremely light loads, basically cutting me out of 90% of the freight I haul in other words, useless except to go to the store in. Lol. Find below a copy of the invoice from Volvo. If you can think of anything else I would greatly appreciate your help. Will be glad to give a good rating as I understand this is not a normal problem.
Trying to rate you but the stars are greyed out and don't respond. Will try again.

You can write in the response of how many stars you want to give.

What states do you haul in? Arkansas and California are the only states that won't allow over the 12000 weight.

Did you have them by chance see what the axle rating is? You might have a 13200 lbs axle on your truck and if so, you can run heavier on the steers. Just not 18000 lbs unless you run super single. Depending on brand (Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokahomo) all allow 13500 on the steers for their rating at 65 mph. Arkansas will be the one state that will check you each time. I know my dirver was checked there all the time running at 12700, but we had a 13200 axle with Bridgstone tires on the Volvo I had.

I mainly haul east of I35 but go to Cali once a year. I thought the highest allowable steer weight was 12500 as long as your tires and axle is rated for that weight? 4 star rating.Lots of my freight goes through Arkansas alsoTo clarify: all states except ca and ar will allow whatever your tires and/or axle is rated for? Whichever is lowest?

Arkansas is 20k lbs or whatever the axle weight allows by manufacturer, whichever is less. California is the same, but they have a catch. If you are in a truck with a sleeper, it is 12500 lbs if you are more than 218 inch wheel base (Volvos average 225 to 233) or the manufacturer rating of the axle. I always have my driver argue the manufacturer rating and keep the kingpin to front axle under the 40 foot. It rather get a .02 per pound ticket than the $556 over bridge ticket.

CLICK HERE for a weight guide. The weights are still the same. Alaska changed and Alberta changed, but the rest are still the same.

Here in Florida, it is 20k. Most Eastern states are 18 to 20k. Only Arkansas and California have given issues and I have had trucks since 1998. We do get weight tickets in Georgia, but that is because we are Florida plated. They always get us on the spread.

to simplify, the majority of states seem to have a max of 20k. (which I never am at). so the if I go by the lowest rating between tires and axle I will be legal under that rating?

Correct. And as long as you stay under the 34k truck tandem and the 34k trailer tandem (40 k if pulling a spread axle) and your 80k gross.

That opens up my options a little more. Thanks so much Jeremy.

You're welcome.

Can you direct me to a website that would give me my steer axle rating for a 2007 Volvo VNL 780? I know the axle is the same from the manufacturer. The rating for the tires should be on the tire correct?

Depends on the axle you have. There is a tag on it or the alignment paperwork will have it.

CLICK HERE and you can see the 780 has a few different options.

Yes, the rating will be on the tire for the per tire. Look for the little circle that has your max pressure and rating on it.

I just drew the short straw for a road call so I have to leave for a little bit. Just in case I don;t reply quickly, you will know as to why.

Hi Jeremy,
The only thing I could find ref weight on my tires is "6175 lbs max load". Does that transfer to a weight rating?

6175 is the max weight for that tire. Now multiply it times 2 and you get 12350. That is your tire rating for the speed indicated on the tire, which is usually 65 mph.

Thank you

You're welcome.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician