Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1998 mack e7 engine that after i set valve lash and

Customer Question

i have a 1998 mack e7 engine that after i set valve lash and i rotate engine i have excessive valve lash on the intake valves. engine has always had a clatter. just replaced the cam/cam gear and cam followers. cam followers failed at 750000 miles.not sure if this is inherent noise in this engine. been through adjustment twice always end uo the same
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phil, my name is***** the cam gear timing and that the correct cam is installed in the engine and they didnt sell you the wrong part number. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont think cam is the problem.Numbers match and timing marks were dead on. Again this has been an ongoing issue for 500000 miles or more. just want to know if this is an ongoing problem with this model engine. Been working on heavy duty diesel engines since 1977 and have never had this issue. Was really looking for a mack tech to answer my questions so i dont waste anybody time

What is the full model number from the engine tag. If yours has the dynatard and the spring loaded pushrod then click this link for the adjustment procedure and operation. There will be some slack on this style but you need to compress the pushrod spring to adjust as mentioned in the link below. Let me know the model so I can be sure to post the correct procedure. How many valve? 12 or 24? Model?

Overhead

Hi Phil, Did you get this resolved?