Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

We have a Yale model GLP050RENUAE084 fork lift that is stuck

Customer Question

We have a Yale model GLP050RENUAE084 fork lift that is stuck in reverse. It has an automatic transmission.
About 10 days ago, we shifted from reverse to forward and it acted like it was trying to do both. It stayed in reverse but we could feel resistance like it was also trying to go forward.
We put the emergency brake on, turned it off, turned it back on and then put it drive and it worked fine.
2 days ago, we had the same issue but now it will not come out out of reverse.
We had a tech look at it yesterday. He reversed the wires to the solenoid. No change. He reversed the cores. No change.
He says that we would need to take it to their shop now to have them diagnose where it is a valve, clutch pack or something else.
The cost to do this(approx. $1,000) is more than we want to spend while not knowing how much deeper we'll need to go to repair the problem.
Is there anything more we can do to diagnose the problem? Depending on what we find, (valve issue, for example) could/should/how would we fix it ourselves?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robbie, My name is***** the electrical tests out okay from the shift controller for power in and out the to shift solenoids in each gear position and the shift solenoids test okay and they all are close in range with a resistance check, the next step is to check the transmission oil for burnt smell and discoloration as well as the filter/strainer for metal/debris indicating an internal failure requiring rebuild or replacement. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply, Dan. Where is the filter/strainer located? How do we check it for metal/debris? What's the easiest way to get some of the transmission oil to check it for smell/discoloration?

Click on the link below. # ***** is the filter and # ***** and 45 is the suction screen. You will need to drain the transmission to check the suction screen.

It is behind plug #42. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Daniel. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We had to get the things together that we needed to check the filter, screen and fluid. We should have time to check it out this afternoon. I'll let you know what we find.

thanks for the update. Keep me posted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything looked good. The transmission oil did not smell burnt or look discolored. The filter and screen did not contain any significant debris.

thanks for the update. That is a good sign. Verify power to the solenoids in each gear position and check the resistance of the solenoids to be sure they are in line with one another. If one is far off from the other for a reading then swap it with the other to see if the problem moves with it. If so replace the faulty solenoid. Id power is in but not out of the shift controller then replace the shift controller. If all still checks out I then recommend having the pressures tested and confirmed they are in specs. Let me know

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. We'll try the things you gave me to do next week. Thanks!

Sounds good. Pleasure to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Daniel,I've confirmed that the technician that we initially hired performed all of the tests you outlined. He confirmed that there were no issues with the solenoids or shift controller.

Thanks for the update. The next step is to have your pressures tested if he is sure the electrical tests out okay and the shifter, wire harness, and solenoids all test okay. It is possible the problem is internal in the transmission. If you do not already have the service book, I recommend obtaining a copy for the more in depth testing and troubleshooting as well as schematics and specs. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know how to perform the pressure test and we'll do that.

i will see if I have that information on this lift. I may not.

Hi Robbie. I do not have the pressure test information on this model unfortunately. That would be covered in the service book. Most of the time this problem is electrical in the solenoids, harness, or shift controller.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your patience with us while we got responses to you but I'm afraid that we're really not any further in diagnosing the issue than when we started. I don't want to submit a poor rating but it seems that you're not in position to help us find the problem and I can't authorize payment without a solution(other than to purchase the service manual).

Hi, So is it your understanding that the technicians on this site should not be paid for their time unless your problem is completely resolved from start to finish for a percentage of the deposit? Ill opt out. Good luck with your forklift

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pressure test port is a plug in the valve body, where the spin on filter is mounted. Pressure test would show if the pressure is dropping when you shift between reverse and forward. If the pressure drops when shifted out of reverse and goes to the forward clutch, and reverse stays engaged, the reverse clutch has failed and is not releasing. Can be from broken springs in the clutch piston, or from broken plates that have stacked. In that case, the repair has to be repairing the clutch packs by removing them from the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Curtis. My understanding from the technician that initially came and looked at the lift is that if the proportional valve is the issue, we have a relatively low cost repair($500). If its the clutch pack, we're getting into much more money($5,000). My goal is to diagnose the problem. If dealer does this, they are going to charge us $1000(come pick up the lift, take it to their shop, diagnose and then return to us) plus the cost of repair. I can't spend $1000 to find out we need a $5,000 repair. Can you tell me how to diagnose if it's the proportional valve, the clutch packs or something else? I'm assuming that you have access to what Mr. Wilson had us do - drain fluid and check filters and screen.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what a proportional valve is. I worked as service manager for a Yale dealer, and I can't tell you what a proportional valve is or does.?? It has an inching valve for cutting out clutch when brake is applied, but that leaves transmision out of gear, not stuck in one gear. As I said before , pressure check the two clutches, if pressure is not staying applied to reverse and it still is engaged, the clutch pack is problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4. How do we check the pressure on the two clutches?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

There is a gage port on the top of the control valve, where the spin on filter is. Hook up gage, 0-330 psi and check pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! Do we need to refill the transmission with fluid and replace the filter before doing this? What type of pressure gauge do we need? As soon as we attach the gauge, does that immediately give a pressure reading or do we need to do anything else(turn the lift on, try to shift, etc.)?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fluid level needs to be up. and the gage needs to be something in the 300 psi range. You start the unit, and shift to either gear, then the other, reading should drop and then recover as unit is held in gear. If i is the correct port, it will read both clutches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. We'll locate a gauge that we can use and give it a shot.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>