spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a 13 speed in a 96 379 powered by a celect plus 460

Customer Question

I have a 13 speed in a 96 379 powered by a celect plus 460 hp. Shifter rattles in 2nd, and in 6/7th. Possible shift fork failure? Remedy?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for delay Allen,

Do you have a gear shift isolator? you would see it just above top of trans and floor board of truck and it looks like this below

Click here

If you have one it needs to be rebuilt which includes a new pin and bushings,, a easy fix.

If you don't have one it needs one as this was a common issue and this is Eatons fix.

While checking have in one of those gears and also see if shifter is hitting floor board if it is the stub shaft out top of trans may also need rebuilt if isolator is not bad.

Those gears it rattles in have two different shift forks so a bent fork would not be the cause

I took the time to answer you Please take the time to Rate me with stars at top of page so I get credit from the site for my time..you may still follow up after rating if needed
Thank You!.