Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have a 1986 Chevy P30 box truck. Driving in to work this

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1986 Chevy P30 box truck. Driving in to work this morning the headlights, dash lights and brake lights went out. I thought is was a fuse (blinkers & defrost fan work) but can't seem to find one that's out. Where should I look?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Which fuse would it be for that grouping of lights?
JA: What is the model of your '86 Chevy?
Customer: P30
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: need to know where the fuse for the head & tail lights would be
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would check all fuses in all fuse panels for any blown fuses needing replaced.If all fuses are found to be o.k. the issue here can be a fault with the head light switch and/or connection at the switch as this was a very common fault or an issue with the turn signal switch.I have had to replace both for this issue here before.This would need to be tested further with a test light or multi meter to pinpoint which component is the cause here and then repaired from there to resolve this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete… Yes of course I checked all of the fuses. How do I go about checking and replacing the light switch?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to ask my mechanic… I should be able to contact him within the hour I will text you then… Thank you for the quick response
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem,Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there other engine specifics you need to know?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No that should be it.Manual or automatic transmission may help as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know the engine size when you can.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original was probably a six cylinder but according to my mechanic it's now a 350 5.7
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,my info isnt showing any wiring diagrams on this model here but I do show the procedure on how to replace the head light switch and will post it below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6kh2hn4fbjt9eg/h-06-23.gif?dl=0

G MODELS 1. Disconnect battery ground cable. 2. Reaching from behind instrument panel, depress shaft retaining button and remove switch knob and shaft. 3. Remove switch retaining nut from front of instrument panel, Fig. 9, then push switch from panel opening, disconnect wiring connector and remove from vehicle. 4. Reverse procedure to install.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete