Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cat 3126b losing prime. : I've used cat man before. my last…

Cat 3126b losing prime. ...

Cat 3126b losing prime.

Mechanic's Assistant: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.

I've used cat man before. my last problem was diagnosed as a shorted IAP sensor and haven't had any problems for 18 mos. then it just crapped out in basically the same way it did before an I'm unable to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?

Nope. the suggestions thus far have been a bad fuel pressure regulator and or a bad fuel pump.

6/13/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.There are two things I have seen cause a 3126 to lose prime.
The first and most common is a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head. I would replace this first.
Second is a faulty fuel transfer pump on the back of the heui pump.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
ok - as I'm broken down in my driveway, is this something that a roadside mechanic should be able to handle onsite? there's virtually no way of getting a towtruck in my driveway to get this RV towed out.
Oh yes. He should be able to take care of this onsite. Both of these parts are not difficult to change.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
I am having a new fuel pressure regulator installed today and am hoping that is the problem. Once installed, do you think it will take a shot of ether to get the system going first or should it crank up without such (provided this is the cure)? This has been an intermittent problem for me for some time now, with it being much more pronounced when the temperature is below 45 (it usually never occurs during warm temps). Would cold temps more likely cause the pressure regulator to "flare" so to speak? Once I got it running (usually with a shot of ether), it always ran fine. Also, given that the transfer pump appears to be gear-driven, would it be susceptible to outside temps? Thanks!
No you should not need ether to start. Ether does help but not always necessary.
Yes temps can cause a difference. Normally colder is more the problem than when hot.
Let me know how you make out.
It took some ether to get it started after we installed the new fuel pressure regulator (I assume because there was a lot of air in the line and perhaps was air locked). It's started up each time just fine since then with no assistance. I guess the real test for me will be once it gets cold again this fall and winter. Thanks again for the advice & guidance.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you got it fixed. That's great to hear. I'm glad you got it taken care of. Good job.