Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 2000 Bering MD26. Vehicle cranks but won't start.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 2000 Bering MD26. Vehicle cranks but won't start. Codes pulled are 128 233 12 sid, 128 251 3 sid, 128 233 9 sid, 128 233 3 sid. The only one that won't clear is 128 233 12 sid.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: We are getting fuel to the injection pump. Vehicle was driving down freeway and just basically shut off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the engine make and model from the ID tag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, this is a Cummins 5.9L and model number on engine tag is #ISB 215.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking for response.

EFFECT

Fault Code: 365
PID: S233
SPN: 1077
FMI: 4
LAMP: Yellow
SRT:

Low voltage detected at VP44 pump controller supply voltage circuit.

Possible engine dying, running rough, or no effect

as you can see this code will derate the engine here is the power diag

• Turn keyswitch to the ON position.
  • Disconnect the engine harness from the fuel pump.

Check the VP44 supply resistance.

• Measure the resistance from pin 7 of the VP44 connector, harness side, to the positive (+) battery terminal should be below 0.2 ohms
  • Turn keyswitch to the OFF position.
  • Disconnect engine harness from the ECM.
  • Disconnect engine harness from the fuel pump control module.

Check for an open circuit in VP44 controller ground circuit.

• Measure the resistance from pin 6 on the harness side of the fuel pump control module to engine block ground less than 0,2 ohms anything more you have resistance on the power or ground circuit.
  • also check the output of the alternator.
  • if all checks out the vp44 pump computer is failing and needs to be replaced

Hi I am pulling your information as we speak. I help on here in between jobs and as time allows. bare with me as I post more information.

364

(Yellow) S233 9

1077

9

Fuel Pump Control Module,CAN Communication Error- abnormal update rate

374

(Yellow) S233 12 1077

12

Fuel Pump Control Module,Self-Test Error

Click on this link and follow the troubleshooting for fault 364. Let me know

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. After we check this I will get back to you.

Pleasure to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, All wires test good for fault 364.

Do you have access to Cummins insite to read and monitor live data?

Incorrect electrical current is detected at the VP44 fuel pump control valve, which indicates that it can be continuously energized.

The effect would be that Fueling to injector is disabled , Engine does not run.

This circuit is internal to the VP44 fuel pump control module.

The fuel pump control valve is inside the VP44 fuel pump.

This fault is set when the VP44 fuel-metering solenoid valve is energized continuously or if current is detected at the fuel control solenoid while the pump incremental angle sensor detects the synchronization gap of the fuel pump tone wheel. Voltage irregularities and electrical noise can trigger Fault Code 361. Check for low battery voltage or loose pins (pins 6 and 7 of the pump harness connector).

Check all the grounds , and 12 supply wires and fuses in the OEM harness that supply the engine electrical connector and the vp44 injection pump.

Okay. Lets try this to see if the problem is in the pump or another issue.

Turn key on and listen for the lift pump. If none verify power and ground to it to confirm if it is bad and needs to be replaced. Disconnect the VP44 harness from them pump and with a jumper harness for power and a ground make a connector small enough to fit the pump connector pins. Putpower to the pump's pin #7 and the other on pin #6 GROUND. This will bypass the elecronic controls and determine if it is a fuel issue or a power issue. If the problem persists after this test than you can run the engine off a bucket of fuel direct to the lift pump inlet and retest, the lift pump must be working to do the test. Common problems with the power supply to the pump,such as loose connections or damaged connector pins in the harness, a faulty vp44 relay, ecm problems, ect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Dan, We checked lift pump and it is coming on and getting fuel to the injection pump from the filter assembly. Code 233 12 will not clear and code 233 9 comes back everytime we crank the motor over. We have no way of checking live data as per your previous question. All powers and grounds test good to the injection pump. ??

Thanks for the update. Check the Relay harness and change out the relay for starters and see if the problem still exists. If the ECM and relay are sending power to the injection pump but you have no fuel to the injectors you have a faulty pump. Try the jumper harness I mentioned to see if it will start. If so try a test ECM. If not you have a faulty Pump. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have fuel to the injectors because the truck will run when we jumper the harness but it runs poorly. We found no reference signal coming from the camshaft position sensor. There is ref voltage and ground at sensor. Could this cause a no start condition and the codes we are getting?

Thanks for the update. Yes. No speed signal will disable injection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The camshaft position sensor is under the injection pump, is there any tips to change without pulling the injection pump off?

Its in a tight place but you should be able to get to it with a long extension and possibly swivel either 3/8 or 1/4 inch drive. Click on this link for the VP44 information you requested.

VP44

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, changed camshaft sensor and put injection pump all back together. We still have a crank but no start condition. Scanned and are still getting a code 128 233 12 SID. Any suggestions for us?

Thanks for the update. If the ECM is comanding the pump to run but no response with good fuel pressure it means a faulty pump. Let me know