cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

Cylinder liners in a 1999 Cummins isx Signature 565 engine.

Customer Question

Cylinder liners in a 1999 Cummins isx Signature 565 engine. The original liners should be "groove top" but I think have been replaced with the newer "flat top" design. How do I identify between the two?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

what is the engine serial number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14001438
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Flat Top vs. Groove Top Liner

Groove Top Cylinder Liner

• Legacy liner design used on early 15L engines: Has a groove machined into the top of the liner and is used with the multi-piece head gaskets.

Flat Top Cylinder Liner

• Current liner design: The top of the liner fully protrudes from the block. This liner does not have any grooves and is used with the current product single piece head gasket.

Please don't forget to rate my service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This engine has been broke into before then. When I tore it apart it didn't have a metal gasket but the liners are flat top and the pistons are one piece with drilled holed connecting rods, so updated parts. My concern is the head gasket. The one piece head gasket I have doesn't cover any of the liner, it is completely exposed. Is that right?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

The only thing i can do is give you correct part numbers . If the wrong parts were installed than you will have issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are replacement updated parts, not incorrect parts. With the update, there was the change from the 13 pc head gasket to the one piece. I'm wondering if that is normal to have the cylinder liner completely exposed with no overlap of the head gasket ?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

what part numbers were used on your invoice??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The liners in the truck have TPD4101507 stamped on them.I didn't replace them someone else had to have done that previously. They are flat top liners. I just had the head redone and since the liners had been updated prior I ordered the one piece gasket kit(###) ###-#### ***** I placed it on the block it does not overlap the liner at all. The line between the liner and block is not covered. Never seen that before so I'm questioning it.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

ok ill have to do some checking

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

TPD4101507 must be after market. You will need to contact Cummins for repair options,. You cannot mix aftermarket with genuine or mishaps will occur..Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just following up.Please don't forget to rate my service.