Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

We are working on a Volvo semi that has an "EXTENDED

Customer Question

We are working on a Volvo semi that has an "EXTENDED CRANK" condition when starting after sitting for 20 minutes or longer. If it sits overnight, we have to crank it so long the batteries ALMOST go dead just before it fires off. What is the diagnostic procedure to diagnose this issue? We are an advanced diesel shop with advanced diagnostic equipment. Please do not respond to this question with 'I THINK, or IT COULD BE, or MAYBE's. We have ran thru the basics on it and are still having the above mentioned issue. It has brand new fuel filters and water separator installed. The customer had the truck at a different shop and they were not successful with finding the problem.
Year: 2008 (July)
Make: Volvo
Model: VNL780
VIN: 4V4NC9EJX9N265905
Engine: Volvo D13 (485hp)
Engine Serial Number: 91913
Miles: 899935
Transmission: AT02512C Volvo Auto
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Please give me a couple minutes to sign into your vehicle information and I will be right with you.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Injector cups. If you checked the check valves and such, checked the fuel tanks for cracked pick up tubes, lines for sucking air and allowing drain back, etc then that leaves the issues I always find on the Volvo engines. Injector cups cause the hard start issues when the engine is warm and sitting for 20 minutes and the occasional hard starts on a very cold engine. I replace a lot of them on that year because they are a soft brass cup. We are now using stainless steal cups in them to prevent this issue. Once they expand, they crack. You can't see the cracks on a cold engine. If you have someone brave enough to work on the engine hot, you'll see the cracks in them. Otherwise pull them, heat them up and you will see the cracks in them. Once they are cracked, they will not hold the pressure and you get the hard/no start issues.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?