Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

We have a CAT 3116 engine Cylinders #1, 2, 3 ARE NOT FIRING

Customer Question

we have a CAT 3116 engine Cylinders #1, 2, 3 ARE NOT FIRING AT ALL, 4,5, 6 are firing... we changed around injectors, same thing,
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you get me the engine serial number please? Cat makes a mechanical 3116 and an electric 3116. Just want to be sure which one you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3116 mechanical
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
I thought so but just wanted to be sure.
Unfortunately I see this a lot on these engines. You most likely have compression getting last number 3 injector and putting air in the fuel. Fuel runs from the rear of the head to the front. When compression gets past injector 3 or 4 it causes the injectors 1,2,3 not to fire.
The copper cups on the faulty injector either needs to be cut with the reamer to square it up. Or the cup is too low to seal and needs to be replaced. I would try reaming it first. If the problem continues. I would replace the copper cups.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.