Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

My Name is ***** *****'m working on a 2008 Freightliner

Customer Question
Hi my Name is *****...
Hi my Name is ***** *****'m working on a 2008 Freightliner cascadia vin# ***** I replace the batteries and after that all lights stays on all the time with the key on or off position and my turn signal doesn't work I check all relays and fuses and they all good thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/5/2016
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 1 year ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Good evening
When you turned your battery cut off switch and back on does the light come on solid or is it flashing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that and it did the same the hazard triangle flashing and I bypass the cut off switch and is the same thing
OK good
That cut off switch controls that black box or pndb as we call it. Look under the hood drivers side there is 1 heavy cable going in and 3 comming out of it if there is power on the one cable going in and no power at the three cables going out then the pndb is suspect and will have to be replaced
Let me know how you do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes there is a black box under the driver side floor that has 2 heavy cables going in one is coming from the battery and the other one goes direct to the statert and 3 cables going out after this fuse box they all have full 12 volts going in and going out
Does it say you have any active codes on the dash with the key on engine off.?
If so can you get them?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got codes but all Inactives and they were before the problem
alrightdisconnect the batteries and wait 5 min the rehook back up and retest,this will reboot the sam moduleslet me know what happens next..
do the headlights stay on ?any other symptoms ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I do that the firs think I see is that the red triangle start flashing when I hook the batteries back and all the lights go off but when I turn the key on after 5 seconds they go on and stays on all Time with the key on or off where is the Sam located or the day time running lights module I wanted to unplug the Sam and see if the lights go off the season I thing Sam could be the problem is because lights stays on with the key off ,
yes its time to inspcet the sams for corrosion sam cab..behind the glove box....there are also 4 connectors on the outside that are part of that sam as well,you will see them in the engine compartment sam chassis behind the clutch peddle side of the floor mounted on the firewallit passes through to the outside as wellinspect the inside connectors there carefully for corrosiontty
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I clean all the Sam chassis wire Harnes and all the wires inside the cab under the clutch pedal and also the heavy cables that comes out the Sam chasis thru the Sam module at the right side and all the 4 conectors in the Sam module and is all the same the light flashing and runing lights stays on all the time
When the lights flash look at the cluster does the back lighting get bright and then dim. Over and over?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No is always flashing dim
Did you find excessive corrosion? At any of the Sam modules. I'm thinking one is off line
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not a lot corrosion on the Sam connector but I found a lot corrosion at one of the wires conecotos under the clutch pedal but not the ones going to the Sam also there is a electrical unit under the dash right at the center of the dash floor section panel I think is the timer if I desconect it lights go off when I turn the key off and when I turn the key on they go on so seem to work normal but all my dome lights start flashing and my hazards signal in the dash start flashing
Yes
One last thing under the hood there is a fuse that says lvd sense check that and all the others in that box if they are OK then the Sam cab is suspect and needs to be replaced. They're is a Sam module recall out there and if you call your freightliner dealer with your VIN you can see if your truck qualifies for it. Good luck and let me know how you do
go-west..
go-west..
go-west.., Technician