Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

Diesel motor won't turn on. Have Perkins diesel, works

Customer Question

Diesel motor won't turn on.
Have Perkins diesel, works great last few year, left it parked for a month , came started it up fine, after about 10 minutes of idling it cut out unexpectedly. When I try to start again it turns over and over and over and over, if I play with throttle it will start for a second then imedialty die out. Tried starting to for half hour, same result.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Model of the engine? Do you have fuel to the injection pump? Any smoke from the exhaust when cranking? No smoke, means there is no fuel to the cylinders. Have you replaced the fuel filters, and checked the fuel supply from the tank to the filters?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel bowl is full no smoke Perkins 1004t Perkins
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
On the injection pump is a fuel shutoff solenoid. It has to have battery voltage to open the fuel to the injectors, is it working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not sure. Should I check with multimeter?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Voltmeter or test light, or feel the solenoid and do you feel it click?