Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a sdp regen engine and it wont regen it says outlet

Customer Question

I have a sdp regen engine and it wont regen it says outlet gas temperature high i changes box alreay what else can do this
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Most often the cause of a high DPF outlet temp is a faulty outlet temp sensor in the sensor box. Since you have already changed the box. The next most common item to cause this is the harness between the box and the engine ECM. It's rare but I see this from time to time.
It's also possible a faulty injector can put raw fuel in the cylinder that will cause this code. But normally the engine has a miss or flutter. If you have no miss or flutter. I would suspect the harness from the sensor box.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which harness there is a small one from box to long one at plug i have 1 with 10 bolts and 2 with 5 bolts and grounds
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Actually it could be either one of the harnesses between the box and ECM. Basically the temp sensor is a two wire resister. If there is a problem in the wiring. It will affect the temp reading to the ECM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause the cat et shows its not high what if its not harness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i check harness
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing than the harness that can cause this is the ECM. It's very rare for an ECM to cause this. I've only seen an ECM cause this one time.
Unfortunately the only way verify the harness is to replace. I have a harness I have made up to connect to the box and wire into the ECM. If my problem goes away. I know it's the harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the sensor located for the outlet gas temperature
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
The probe is in the outlet side of the DPF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hooks to box also how many volts should I get out of the six wire plug I have one for 10 V one for 5 V one for five loads and two grounds is that right
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
The sensors are only 5 volt supply sensors. If you have 10 volts. That's too high. Could be a problem in the wiring or an ECM problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 1 prong coming from ecm at 10 volts
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
That's to much. Let me get a schematic. Be back in a minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I am happy to help.Here is the schematic.https://www.dropbox.com/s/68hfjmk4eo1xbhv/dpf%20wiring.jpg?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 10 volts
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. Which wire has10 volts on it?