Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Catman eng sn5EK84161 it appeared that the harmonic balancer…

catman eng sn5EK84161 it appeared...
catman eng sn5EK84161 it appeared that the harmonic balancer was loose. We pulled it off and it is the front of the crank. So I assume the crank is broken somewhere in front of the thrust bearing? We can move it in and out .25" and up and down same. it runs fine and the driver has not complained about a loss of power. What are your thoughts?
4/26/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Yes it definitely sounds like the crank is broke. I've seen this before. It should not have movement like that.
It is very odd the engine runs good with no driver complaints. But it definitely looks like it's broke. Most likely in the first main bearing. I would drop the pan for a closer look.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert