Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

My ford 4000 gas tractor has begun to fire intermittently and

Customer Question

my ford 4000 gas tractor has begun to fire intermittently and backfire loudly
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: it runs but will not time out smoothly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: governer seems to be working and carb too
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time to see if it is a single cylinder? You may have a stuck valve on the backfiring cylinder.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If it is erratic, the coil may be failing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
did you find the problem?