Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2003, 12.7 detroit that shuts down in

Customer Question
***** *****, I have a...
***** *****, I have a 2003, 12.7 detroit that shuts down in rain. Screen shows high coolant temp and a few seconds later, low oil press. Both dash gauges wander around before shut down. After I sit on side of road till it drys out, it runs fine until it rains again. On a sunny day, I hosed each send or and it shut down when I got to the crank sensor. I have replaced ecm and wiring harnesses. No help. I covered the crank sensor with silicone. That didn't help. This has been going on for 2 years with multiple trips to several FL and DD shops. Pulling out my hair as I write this.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've covered every fix I have tried. The problem only happens in wet weather.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/20/2016
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Have you replaced crank and cam sensors? Synchronous reference sensor is cam sensorDoes check engine light or red stop engine light come on before it dies out?Any codes that you know of?When it does not start does check engine light come on with key on after you turn it off and back on?What wiring harness did you replace engine?Let me know.This may be easier to talk about over the phone, let me know if that is a option you would like to pursue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A phon conversation would be better.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced harness to cam and crank and replaced both sensors. I don't know if the temp and oil press sensors are part of that harness. I don't see how to get to coolant and oil sensors without cutting a hole in the floor.
What kind of vehicle is this? FL?I will send the phone offer once you accept I can call you, just add your number?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The check engine light comes on just after the screen shows high coolant temp. The red engine protect light comes on before shut down.
What codes you getting?I also need earlier questions answered to figure this out, I want to assist you fixing this once and for all!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Code in high coolant temp. I know the temp is not really high since it goes from 185 to 230 in less than 5 seconds and then drifts back to 160 in the same amount of time. The oil pressure drifts also. After the truck shuts down they both continue to drift. The oil pressure will drift from 25 to to75 psi with the engine off.
I'm downloading a sensor diagram for you I would start by replacing CTS and check wiring plug for any corrosion.Since most of the time coolant temp high is the fault it can affect OPS reading since both sensors get the sensor supply voltage from same place, so one can effect other.I would also check plug on OPS or replace that sensor to just to be sure.If one of the two sensors is shorting out intermittently it would explain why two different codes and that they come and go when it cools down.Please don't forget to rate my assistance the last question I answered for you I did not get credit since there was no rating let me know if you have any trouble, use stars at top of screen to rate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what ops and cts stand for. Are you going to send diagram?
the link I sent is above you may need to scroll up to view.OPS = oil pressure sensorCTS = coolant temp sensor
The link I sent has the diagram in it,, it's a PDF that will open if you click on it
I'm just following up to see if we resolved the issue, what it was ,or if you need more info.I would appreciate a reply so I know you are happy with my assistance.Thanksspanky
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you or the website does not credit me for my time..
spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman