Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

This question is Man... We have a Cat C15 with an active…

This question is for Cat...
This question is for Cat Man...
We have a Cat C15 with an active EVENT with the code 3719-0. The truck came in with the check engine and stop engine lights on. We had the DPF cleaned and the flow rating improved from 6 to 1-1/2 after removing about 6oz of soot. We also cleaned the filtered fittings and forced a regen, which indicated that it was successful. It also passed the ARD ignition test. Any ideas where to go next?
4/5/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
The soot code 3719 should have went inactive after the system completes a successful regen. This code only indicates the DPF is full of soot and should go inactive after a successful regen.
Are there any other codes?

No other active codes.

Thanks for the information.
That is very strange. I have not ever seen this code stay active after completing a regen.
Have you tried another regen?

No, but we will.

OK. Keep me posted. If it does not clear. Get me your ET version and the personality module number from the ECM. There have been some issues with this problem years ago.

Ran the regen again and the event cleared. Thanks for the help!

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi Cat Man - More issues with this truck. After driving about 20 miles after the DPF cleaning, the service engine light and regen lights came on and power dropped. Cat ET shows three codes: Diagnostic 3249-4 and 3251-20, and Event 3719-16. I'm guessing the diagnostic codes could be bad sensors or wiring? But the DPF was weighed, baked and cleaned by a reputable company, so I really don't understand the 3719 code. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks for the update. Sorry you are still having trouble.
Code 3249-4 is an exhaust gas temp 2 open circuit. This is the sensor in the ARD head. When this code occurs it indicates a failed sensor or broken wire. When this code happens the system will not regen. That's why you have the 3719.
Code 3251-20 is a DPF differential pressure high. This comes from the system not completing a regen.
Once you get the 3249-4 fixed. The system should complete a regen.

Sounds good. We'll give it a try. I'll let you know.

Sounds good. Keep me posted.

Got the sensor harness. It actually came with two sensors. Part number is(###) ###-#### ***** that sound right? I'm planning to go to the truck tonight to install it.

that's right. It comes as a pair of sensors.

Installed the sensors and the 3249-4 clearedSmile, but the fitting for the sensor on the exhaust stripped so I need to go back to repair that. With that said, I noticed a lot of carbon buildup on the sensor that came out of the ARD head. Should the ARD head be pulled and cleaned?

Thanks for the information. It's normal to have some carbon build up but it may be a good idea to clean.

Is there a procedure for cleaning? If it's working now, I would hate to cause a problem and cost the customer a $1000 head.

No there's no published procedure. Folks just remove and hand clean. If it completed a regen I would not clean it.

Okay, tried manual regen through ET and the test ran for about 10 minutes and failed. Error code 10F9, ground speed too low. I still have the 3251-20 diagnostic code, but no other codes or events. Thoughts?

3251-20 is a DPF differntial code. This is caused by a plugged DPF. It could also be a faulty DPF sensor.
Not sure about 10F9. Not ever seen that before.

10f9 was the cat et message. I tried to upload the screenshot but it won't let me. ET says code 3251-20 is dpf pressure "data drifted high". Is that a clogged dpf, or an error reading the data?

it could be either. But most often it's a bad sensor.

If it's clogged wouldn't I still have the 3719 code? Earlier you said the 3521-20 code was from not completing the regen. is that possible?

I agree. I would more suspect a bad sensor.

Just successfully completed the regen. Still have 3251-20. Any way to tell which sensor is bad? BTW, i got a message from the site saying my question was opened to all experts. I didn't ask for that to happen.

No. They come as a complete sensor box assembly.

There were only two occurrences in the log with the last occurrence an hour before the successful regen, but the code shows active in ET. Also, the sel is not lit. Is it possible that the code will clear after driving for a while?

Thanks for the information.
You may need to reset the code. These newer engines have a reset on some of the codes. Just look at the bottom of the screen for the reset button.

I didn't see a reset. The customer is going to drive it for a while and we'll see if it clears. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the information. Let me know how it goes.

Got the truck back today for another issue (I'll start a separate thread on that one), and the code is gone. Looks like it just needed some run time to clear.

That's good news. Glad it's fixed. Good job.