Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Cummins ISB fault 1921 will no go inactive.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi McCoy, My name is***** will be glad to help. Bare with me while I pull up your code information

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not helping anymore?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi McCoy, I am glad you responded.Yesterday I was very sick and for some reason your question got lost in the archives... My apologies for that. I will gather this info now if you still need the help

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 1921
PID: S324
SPN: 3251
FMI: 0/16
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure - Data Valid but Above Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. The soot load of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter has exceeded the recommended limits.

Engine protection derate.

The engine aftertreatment system monitors the soot load in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions, the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning, where soot is converted to carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and water. Under light load operating conditions, it can be necessary to perform a stationary regeneration of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. The soot load in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is estimated using the aftertreatment differential pressure sensor and the calculated soot output of the engine.

This fault code can be triggered if the application is not operating at a duty cycle high enough to actively regenerate the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. This fault code indicates that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to actively regenerate the soot that is trapped in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. It may be necessary to increase the duty cycle of the application in order to prevent plugging of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• The engine has been operating in a light load condition that prevents exhaust temperatures from being high enough to actively regenerate the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter.
  • Possible engine damage that causes excessive black soot to be generated.
  • The aftertreatment diesel particulate filter can accumulate an excessive amount of ash in a short time period. This can be due to excessive oil consumption or due to non-combustible elements such as, but not limited to, iron, potassium, or calcium contained in fuel additives.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Try a parked regen to see if it will complete with out any other active faults

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

If not and a reset with insite will not correct this and no actual faults exist you will need to reflash and update the ECM software. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Are there any other faults?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

I see you have two questions open for this?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

3 1921 Flashing Amber Perform stationary regeneration procedure Engine protection derate

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Regen will not go. Says "A condition exists to prevent ECM from performing this function" Can ecm software make it stuck thinking there is a problem? I have another question open because I am on highest priority and response time has been terrible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, it is a solid check engine light. No flashing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
every now and then i get a 3261, 3651. but they go inactive by themselves
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. I understand. Experts arent employees of the site. Some have full time jobs or businesses and only log in as they are able. I help on here in between jobs as I am able. But to answer your question, software can cause an ECM not to reset a code after repairs have been made. since you have the other two codes, I will dig those up in case they are why you are getting the 1921 which is very likely

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Possible causes of this fault include:

• Malfunctioning line heater relay
  • Malfunctioning line heater
  • Open circuit, short circuit to ground, or a blown fuse in the aftertreatment diesel exhaust fluid controller harness
  • Malfunctioning aftertreatment diesel exhaust fluid controller.
  • Blocked or restricted coolant flow to the DEF tank heater
  • Disconnected or broken tank heater coolant supply hose
  • Malfuntioning or stuck closed DEF tank heater control valve
  • Operation in extremely cold ambient conditions

CODE REASON EFFECT

Fault Code: 3261
PID: S254
SPN: 4342
FMI: 5/5
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid Line Heater 2 Circuit - Current Below Normal or Open Circuit. Open circuit or short circuit to ground detected in the diesel exhaust fluid line heater 2.

Diesel exhaust fluid line heater 2 will be disabled

CODE REASON EFFECT

Fault Code: 3651
PID: S254
SPN: 3031
FMI: 18
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Temperature - Data Valid But Below Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. The diesel exhaust fluid tank temperature is unable to reach its set point.

Diesel exhaust fluid injection into the aftertreatment system is disabled

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

These two faults you just posted will have to be corrected before regen is allowed. Repair these first and then try a parked regen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand. When the codes go inactive, will still not regen. DEF pump i think has the heater built in correct? It has been replaced along with line #2. And the acm harness has been replaced.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Then yes, If the repairs have been made but the ECM will not clear or allow regen, you will need to have the ECM software reflashed and updated. Then try a parked regen. As long as there are not active problems and the repairs are good, the regen should be successful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so the active code for aftertreatment pressure sensor could be caused by a reflash? we know the filter is good, just was cleaned, and maintenance has been reset. I just want to make sure in your strong opinion it needs a reflash.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

What active code for a pressure sensor? Are there more codes? 1921, 3651, and 3261 are what I know about. What is the currently active code number? If all active code troubleshooting and repairs have been made and the ECM will not allow regen then yes, reflash the ECM but if you have an active fault that has not been repaired then reflashing will not help at all. It is only if you have confirmed all repairs on all active faults and ECM will not Regen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
code 1921 is aftertreatment pressure differential sensor valid but out of range.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thats right.. I was thinking of an informational code for engine derate... Sorry about the confusion. I was getting interrupted here. What are the FMI numbers for the codes?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Depending on the FMI numbers it could indicate a faulty sensor or harness unless its data valid and then points to an actual plugged system and filter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can go dig up those codes. History: since this truck has been down, in derate, 2 weeks total, we put a new sensor on it, acm harness, removed dpf for cleaning; passed, nox sensor, def pump, line #2. we know dpf is not plugged, its virtually brand new. reset filter and doc maintenance. no regen. ALSO: conditions for running 1921 code is engine running over 500rpm. this code comes right back after clearing, engine off.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

New sensor, harness, and DPF cleaned properly with the proper equipment.... Then the only thing left is ECM and ACM software. See that the FMI numbers are first....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SPN 3241 FMI 16
SPN 4342 FMI 5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
those are the only active at this time.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

3241 or 3251?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MY BAD!!! ITS SPN 3251 FMI 16
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any word?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

3251

16

DPF Pressure

-

Out of

Range High

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will schedule an appt for a reflash...
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

SPN 3251/FMI 16 - EPA10

This diagnostic is typically Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Pressure Out of Range High.

This fault code sets when the DPF outlet pressure is greater than 30 kPa (4.2 psi) for more than 10 seconds.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

This means that the DPF Outlet sensor is reading high due to a restriction in the exhaust or faulty sensor

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Was it the outlet sensor you changed?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

check for a restricted SCR catalist

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we changed differential pressure sensor on dpf. code comes on with out engine running..
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

3251 16 does without engine running? If so, go with the reflash

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir, thank you!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Pleasure to help.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

If the Outlet sensor on the DPF and harness are good then the fault should not exist after key on and a reflash. Keep me posted. Please remember to rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on here.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson