Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have code 254-8 on 99 dt 466e, start truck idles fine then

Customer Question
have code 254-8 on 99...
have code 254-8 on 99 dt 466e
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: start truck idles fine then hesitates An evenully dies changed wiring harness under vavle cover ,rebuilt injectors ,new harness from vavle cover to senders ,change fuel filter base with remote mount style, new 1 cost 600.00 dollars. new cam sener
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/28/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Tha fault is for ECM power or loss of communication from your ECM. What model chassis is this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
navastar 4900dt sorry had to go on service call
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nava star 4900dt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry had to go on call out
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi, Thanks for the update. I understand. It is the same for me here actually. We can post back and forth as needed.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Start at the battery box and look for corrosion in the harness and connectors and for faulty inline fuses between the battery box and ECM. Check the battery to starter connections including all grounds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wired around all whether head connection , cleaned all grounds , batteries, starter,cab wirein connection , checked throttle activity change fuel base
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update... check your relays too including the IDM relay.... they are known for problems and corrosion

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed icp
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

ICP sensor ? Is that 254 fault still active? Check the IDM and IDM relay and harness for problems if so

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is IDM?!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Click here for the diagrams.

Schematics

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is IDM?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Put ground wire from computer to starter ground no more 254 code but it still stumble at idle randomly?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

The IDM will be on the firewall engine drivers side. Click here and see PDF page 57 Id try bypassing or changing the IDM relay and confirm power to the IDM or you have a possibly faulty IDM or ECM if the harness and relays check ok and there is good power and ground. See if you can access a test IDM or ECM from a possible salvage yard etc....

Diagrams

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would abs sensor bad cause engine to stumble
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IDM has no power at terminals ,unplugged should it have?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

There should be power to it with the IGN switch on. If not then go to the IDM relay and check it or try bypassing it

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Possibly faulty IDM relay or harness problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which one is IDM relay?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

The relay should be on the firewall near the IDM. There should be two or 3 there.... The schematics will help identifying the correct one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll check ,will check with u Tommorow thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Pleasure to help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My blue point pocket IQ won't read computer saying no ecm detected but truck is still dying
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

It will not read the module if there is no power and ground to the module and is not powered up. Verify your power and grounds first.... If ok and wont read or communicate, try a test module or have bench tested and reflashed to see if it will take a reflash or needs replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gauges have quit workin & no communication to computer now .still can't find IDM box hav about 12 wires on firewall not hooked up to nothing look at diagram don't understand where IDM at inside cab or outside of cab IDM replaceable ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Check the connections in the battery box. There should be some inline fuses coming off the POS cable for ECM power...... Test power to the engine ECM and verify ground and switched power. If ok and no communication, you have a bad ECM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which pins are supposed to be hot key on /off -page 6 shows pin # ***** I can't find no description for location of pins I have only one pin hot with key off/ several hot with key on . Don't know how their numbered (this is main harness to computer)
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

go to pdf page 55

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We found 97rh or 97 star h that's hot. Can't tell, hard to read.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok Ignoring the wire numbers, lets try the PINS on the connector... See the schematic... Bat power leads to pin 25 switched power leads to pin 24........... 21, 22, and 41 are all on the power side of the circuit depending on the ECM relay position whether they are energized.

Grounds lead to 1,2,23, 42

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks talk Tommorow
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Put a different ecm with same number on it and the gauges work & can communicate to computer , doesn't die now but takes a lot longer to throw 254 8 code
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. that means the ECM had problems for sure from low voltage or other reasons but you have an intermittent power issue or grounds to the ECM still.... Possible short, corroded harness/poor connections or ignition power/ charging system issues.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Test all your batteries with a digital tester for dead cells etc, clean/inspect/tighten all cable connections and grounds from batteries to starter and chassis grounds. Test the charging system for any problems and for shorts or draws. If ok inspect the engine and ECM harness thoroughly and the connector pins in the harness and through the firewall for corrosion, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

sounds like you are gaining and it is likely the voltage issue caused the first ECM to fail over time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have tested the wires that plug into the computer and we have found fluctuating voltage on a couple of the wires, don't know which one they are yet, there is one wire that is hot all the time. When we start the motor, the voltage fluctuates, the clutch safety switch and the guages work intermittingly
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Investigate further into that problem and circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
W
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We replaced two relays and now it doesn't die or stumble but now we have no gauges working.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

No gauge response at all? No power to the gauges or the gauges cycle with key on but do not work? Which ECM is hooked up? If the test one, Try having it programmed for your truck VIN and see if everything works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Put old ecm back on ( only borrowed the other one ) gauges cycle but afterwards don't work
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

But likely worked with the other ECM..... Have the ECM reflashed and tested by the dealer. Sounds like an ECM problem, harness/datalink or ESC cab controller problem. If they work with the other ECM it would have to be a problem with the ECM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks got to go , talk Monday
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Pleasure to help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am taking the truck to the International house to have the computer flashed. Update you later. Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. Let me know.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson