Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

There are two spin on fuel filters on my 03 387 my truck is…

There are two spin...

There are two spin on fuel filters on my 03 387 my truck is sucking air into fuel system. I have a o3 Pete with a 3406e cat. One filter is located below hand pump the other filter is on frame and has a rubber fuel line running up to front of engine by crank damper. I changed the rubber line yesterday and ran truck for 30 min ask good. Tried to restart 30 min later. No start. I use hand pump. Hard. I backed off filter under hand pump and air comes out. After a series of pumping and bleading I get engine to fire and drove 300 ***** ***** and shut it off. No start. On the line coming out of hand pump traveling up side of block to I found a spot I could crack the line with a wrench at a fitting and when I use hand pump fuel and air bubbles come out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I just typed a long message. Can't u see it

3/27/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Stephen, My name is***** will be glad to help. If your fuel lines between your tank and pump are non pliable and dry rot cracking, I recommend changing them. To verify the suction line as a problem run a separate supply and return from a bucket to the pump with a different hose. If the problem goes away, check for restrictions or leaks between the tank and pump. If it still exists a common cause is the transfer pump( weak), primer pump ( sucking air), or fuel pressure regulator in the filter housing.. Let me know

I used ether to get it running. I hope it will be ok until I get load delivered and into shop. After it started I had a check engine light come on flashing 41. It's gone nowShould The line between the fuel filter and transfer pump be full of fuel or does it drain back to tank when shut off?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

You will have some leak off but it should not be completely empty. You should see 70--90 psi of fuel pressure with the engine running at all times even under a load. the transfer pump and regulator both help keep fuel in the system. The transfer pump has and internal check valve function.

When I changed the 2 foot fuel line between the filter and transfer pump I had to rotate the fitting on transfer pump to align new fuel line and put a hairline crack in transfer pump. It annoyed me when the new line had no visible fuel in it so I primed it with fuel and it started leaking around one of the bolts in transfer pump housing.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that happened. From the symptoms you are having I believe the transfer pump was likely allowing fuel to bleed back and was on its way out anyway and likely causing a lot of your problem. That and the pressure regulators are common causes.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Hi Did you get this resolved or do you still need further help? Please remember to rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time on the site

Daniel Wilson