Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Need help with maxxforce

Customer Question
need help with maxxforce
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NAVISTAR/INTERNATIONAL VIN 1HTJTSKP3DH271453 with a Maxxforce 7. Came in originally with a exhaust valve rocker busted. Removed the right valve cover, replaced rocker and clips on number 5. Found out later it had been done at the dealer 3 months before. Anyways, since do it, it keeps shredding the alternator belt. Replaced the tensioner after the first one as it seemed to have a lot of bounce to it while running. I have inspected all pulleys, the water pump, idler, vibration dampener etc. there are no burrs, cracks or loose bearings. thrust washers on the crank seems good, no in out play. used a laser alignment tool to confirm pulley alignment. alignment is with-in one laser width. I have replaced the belt 4 times in 3 weeks so far. Once it came in with a complete twist in the belt. it seems like the tensioner is moving with the engine power pulses. engine runs rough in my opinion though I have had minimum experience with this engine (they just came off of warranty) In the last three months it a has had the exhaust rocker arm done twice on number 5, high pressure fuel pump replaced, the air compressor replaced, the egr cooler resealed etc...
it seems to me like the tensioner is moving in time with the engine power pulses. please help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
UPDATE, did a cylinder cut out test, 1 and 8 do not seem to be contributing. 6 and 7 are contributing but not much. 2-5 are strong. Also has a recurring code for low oil pressure.
3/25/2016
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 1 year ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there ! My name is Andy ! Do you have servicemaxx ? Any codes in memory ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Andy, only code in the ECM is for the oil pressure sensor, valid data but below operational level, moderate level. I have never seen it active, just in history. I have seen it sit at about 13 psi on the dash oil pressure gauge when hot and at low idle. Changing the oil and filter brought it up to about 30 psi at hot low idle. Hits about 80 psi cold high idle

There is a procedure to troubleshoot low oil pressure on this .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, have you ever heard of a rough running engine shredding belts?

no

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me either but I am out of other ideas for the belts

Is everything aligned properly ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like it. I used a laser alignment tool. It is a laser in a saddle that sits on a pulley and shines on another saddle with a line on top. The alignment is square between pulleys and within the width of the laser from centre. I will see if I have a picture

ok . And how is the tensionner ? Is there enough tension on the belt ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the tensioner after the first belt shredded, so brand new. I have to assume it is good as it has done the same thing with the old and new tensioner

Is the belt routing correct ?

Are all the bearings on the idler pulleys ok ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The belt tension does not feel tight enough to me but like I say, new tensioner. I got the belt routing diagram by VIN from the dealer. Have checked it about twenty times, so yes I believe it is right
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bearings are all tight and spinning freely
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Including the ac compressor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is in/out play on the air compressor but it is on a separate belt and when pushed did not come in to contact with the alternator belt

There is usually a belt routing sticker on the side of the rad or charge air cooler somewhere

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fan hub is tight, water pump is yught
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tight not yught

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
VERY small amount of wobble on the alternator pulley, but really really tiny

Are we putting the correct length of belt ? correct part number according to vin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct belt by VIN looked up three different times from scratch with different people at the dealer. Yep, I am that desperate.

Wow , I would have to believe that belt routing has to be the problem here ... if you say new tensionner and it does not seem tight , It must be a routing problem .

I am gonna see if I can find the routing for that .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really wish it was.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's why I am grasping at straws like engine pulses caused by rough running

That doesn't make sense though because everytime the engine misfires , you would shred a belt . I work for an International dealer and have not seen that yet . Been there for over 12 years .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was trying to send you a video but it is to long. I need to put my kids to bed, can I trim it and send it to you tomorrow ? Maybe you will see something I am missing.

i do not think that is correct as there is not enough belt wrapped around the ac compressor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, will revisit it in the morning. I hope you are right, I am really frustrated.

Good morning ! I am still trying to find the belt routing for that . I am almost positive that it is indeed on wrong . I believe i remember running into this once . I work for an International garage .

Still looking

K ... And is this how you are installed ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe a TSB with an updated routing?

K but tension is not adequate ... that would cause what you are seeing ! Belt jumping off !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep, but hard to call with a brand new tensioner

I work for an International dealer ... 12 years now ... Have not seen any tsb related to this but will dig further .

Ok... do you have a tension gauge ?

This would help us determine if you have the proper amount of tension on there .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have access to one, do you have a spec on what it should be?

Also are all the pulleys clean ? Grooves are not full of rust or old rubber ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only thing in the ribs was a bit of white tire crayon from me rubbing it on the upper right water pump bolt where I believe it is touching

The gauge will have a pass or a fail zone .. so a red zone ,, then a green zone , followed by another red zone . the red ones are either too loose or too tight

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, won't be able to do that until Monday morning. Thanks for working with me. We have worked together before and I always rate. Have a good weekend for now.

Thanks ... U too sir !

Happy Easter to you and yours !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Andy, why does this show as closed? I haven't finished it yet or rated you. Does it just close over time or what? still haven't figured this out. brought in another new tensioner but the tension is the same. I have 1.75" of belt deflection in both directions over the 12" span between the water pump and idler next to the a/c compressor. Do you have access to another maxxforce 7 that you can compare this to?
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician