Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

What would make a 14 liter Detroit get water inside the

Customer Question
intake ? The head has...
What would make a 14 liter Detroit get water inside the intake ? The head has been pressure checked and the liners were replaced about 6 months ago. The water pump and air compressor have also been replaced.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/17/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What year is the 14L? Is it water or coolant?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Also, where at in the intake are you getting the water? Is it in the CAC or in the manifold?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 2004 14 liter. No water in the oil pan, but there was a small amount of milky oil on the jakes. Water is in the intake manifold itself.

You are right at the cutoff year. If this EGR or non EGR? They had both in this model year engine for the 14L.

If EGR, check the EGR cooler. I suggest pulling the rubber off at the mix pipe and see if there appears to be signs of coolant/water in the mix pipe. If so, you know the cooler is leaking coolant into the gas side of the intake and that is where the water is getting in at.

Are you losing coolant or are you building pressure in the reservoir?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does have the egr stuff. Losing coolant, but no bubbles or pressure in the reservoir. I looked at the egr cooler tube and didn't see any signs of water.

You did the air compressor, so it is ruled out.

You did liners, so you can rule them out. If they were seated wrong, the engine would run horrible.

If you see no coolant on the exhaust side, you know the engine is bypassing it.

That leaves the turbo passing coolant and the EGR and/or cooler passing coolant, or you have a partially plugged CAC and you are getting condensation from overheated intake air from the turbo. If it was that, you would have a loss of engine performance and there is no mention of that.

That leaves turbo and EGR cooler.

The EGR cooler is in a simple location on this engine which is good. I would pull it and pressure test it or send to a radiator shop to pressure test it off the truck. The other option is to pressure test it on the truck by removing the gas tube and letting it sit overnight with pressure on the coolant, then shoot air into the gas side and see if moisture comes out. Then you'll know it is leaking.

Pull the intake on the turbo and see if you are passing coolant on the seal at the turbine. You'll see the traces of coolant or white spots in the turbo if the seal is leaking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got the test kit from Detroit and the EGR cooler seems to check good. The first time it seemed to bubble with hot soap water, but I didn't see any bubbles in the gas side with only hot water the second time. It will lose some pressure overnight though. The truck did come in with a performance issue and hard start, but I think it was from a poor fuel connection on back of the head. The turbo isn't water cooled on this engine. Could injector tubes cause water in the intake ?

The injector cups could be leaking and passing the coolant through the EGR, but the only real way to test them is to pull the injectors and pressure test the coolant system with them out.

The only other thing getting the water in there (if it is coolant, than ignore) is if the CRC is not efficient causing the hot air to sweat.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician