Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have many transition that the when shifting in to the gh

Customer Question
I have many transition...
I have many transition that the when shifting in to the high side it acts like it goes in gear but it's like it's in natural one is a 10 speed one is a 13 and I have two 15 and a 18 all doing this how do I fix and do I need to fire all my drivers
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/14/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Can you be more clear on your question please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I shift the transmission in to the high side it is like it's in neutral there is no gears there why is this and how do I fix it

If the system is air, change the air cartridge filters and check the air valves for moisture build up. If this is happening on more than 1 truck, it is most likely due to water in the valves from high humidity.

I'm in Florida and we have a lot of that issue because of how humid it is here almost daily. So we will pour a little bit of air line alcohol into the air line coming off the compressor every 6 months to clean all the water and the "goop" that builds up in the valves. We have found that it helps a lot.

This is why it is important that each day the air tanks get drained. When you have drivers not draining the air tanks daily, or at least at each fuel stop, water will build in the tanks and will get into the valves and cause that issue.

So to answer the driver on firing the drivers, I wouldn't do that, but I would enforce that each fuel stop while fueling the trucks, it only takes a minute to reach under the truck and pull the air line cable and drain the water out of the tanks. It's better care of the equipment and less downtime for them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to pour alcohol in the air system and clean all of the air lines to the transmission

Air line alcohol, yes. It's like a mixture of 90% alcohol and 10% coolant. It will clean out the air lines for you.

All you need to clean is the valve on the back side of the transmission for the splitter. The rest will clean itself. The valve gets "goop" in the valley where the o-rings are and it sticks instead of sliding back and forth like it should. When you clean it out, it won't stick anymore. That is why air line alcohol is best to use because it cleans the water out and moisturizes from the petroleum in it. It does 2 jobs basically.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician