Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a cat truck engine, serial 2WS. My make brake is only

Customer Question
working on low. The flash...
I have a cat truck engine, serial 2WS. My make brake is only working on low. The flash code was 14, which is retarder sylonoid med and high open or short circuit. I removed the valve covers and did an ohms test on the sylonoids. They were all 0.008. Then I tested the wire harness to each sylonoid from the outside plug on the head. They all tested o.oo0. Any suggestions on we're to look next?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I misspelled jake. Jake brake.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/7/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 1 year ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

There are only three things that can cause the code 14.

The first and most common is a broken or shorted wire from the ECM to the solenoids. It's pin 10 from the ECM. The ground is pin 9. I would check these first.

Second is shorter or open solenoids. Very rare. I've not seen both solenoids short before. Possible but rare.

Lastly is a faulty ECM. Only seen one faulty ECM cause a code 14 in all my years.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank yiu. I will check the 2 pins you sent. Can I also test them with an ohms meter?

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.

Yes you can. There could be a short in the wiring inside the harness or a broken wire. He ground pin 9 is for all the jakes. Not just med/hi.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will. Thank you very much.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just checked the harness from the ecm to the plus on the outside of the head....the harness is only 10 months old, and all the pins showed 0.000 on ohms meter. I checked from one end of harness to the other.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like the wires are not shorted to another. However they can ohm good and still be damaged or mostly broken. Basically have most of the copper strands broken. When this happens it will ohm good. It only takes a few strands on a wire to ohm good. To verify I like to run new bypass wires straight from the ECM to the Jakes. If the problem continues. I know the harness is fine and the problem is either the solenoids or ECM.

Let me know if you need more help.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert