Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

What causes the exhaust tempature and to get to hot

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Exhaust temperature rises as the load on the engine is increased. The extra fuel in the cylinders cause cylinder temperatures to rise, and the exhaust goes through the turbo charger, which raises it. All relate to higher water temperature . Cooling system , fan, thermostat, water pump, and radiator all work together to keep engine in a safe operating range. Radiator has to be clean, the fan belt tight, thermostat working properly , and water pump circulating the coolant.

Over heat occurs when one of the functions has a problem.

What problem are you seeing?

The radiators are dirty but wouldn't that cause the engine temp to rise

What is rising? Just exhaust temperature? What temperature are you seeing? Turbo charged diesel under load can be 1200F

Exhaust manifold can be red hot!

Temps are between
1 engine 1269 1279
Engine 2 1198 1224
Engine 3 1269 1137

?? All appear to be in a normal range. What is concern? What is load factor? I assume these are generators.

The engine get hot and DE accelerates

All do this, are one?

Any coolant loss? Have the radiators been cleaned?

Can exhaust be restricted? Any change in air flow around units?

Two of them do
Not that I know of the air filters have been changed

All seem to be very close in operating temperatures. I would be checking the radiators and cleaning the external fins, and checking the fan operation, and the air flow around the units, as well as the exhaust system, to be sure it is not restricted by ice/snow, etc. May be time to call in the Cat Dealer.

They are not awake yet

!! I wonder why I am!

Lost internet! Please accept to close.

What was the outcome on the units?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician