Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2005 m2 business class box truck. has cab lights has

Customer Question
2005 m2 business class box...
2005 m2 business class box truck.
has cab lights
has headlights
has oem tail lights.
no hood lights/left turn signal and box lights.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/4/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Scroll through the display and let me know what you have for body controller fault codes.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click below and see PDF page 21 for the procedure and let me know what you have for codes.

Drivers handbook

Don't have a hand book -don't have freight liner software
Have all kinds of other scan tools - never ran into a problem like this.
Was told probably be the module by f/l they do go
So we replaced it appreensive about changing but did so
Hooked up pro link and spn882 +fmi4
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The Bulkhead modules have to be programmed after installation for your truck with the Freightliner software and there is no getting around that. They have the monopoly there unfortunately. Did they Program it in chassis?

Asked when picking it up and was told it doesn't need to be programed
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

882 Park / Marker Lights Output Fault 4,5,6 which means the Bulkhead module is not powering that circuit. Confirm by testing power from the module.

Ok is the module under the hood and if so what are the connectors and pin outs for testing
Replace module under driver on chassis rail
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click on this link for the test info. Also see PDF page 22 for the pinouts.

Troubleshooting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The Bulkhead Module is mounted on the cab side of

the frontwall and extends through an opening in the

frontwall into the engine side of the frontwall. The BHM

is located slightly below and outboard of the steering

column.

The BHM has four harness connections on the engine

side of the frontwall and three harness connections on

the cab side. Connections on the engine side include:

• forward chassis harness

• engine harness

• two frontwall harnesses

Connections on the cab side include up to three dash

harness connectors.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I have to head out for a while but I log in periodically in between jobs for follow ups. We can post back and forth as needed if you still need further help.

Connector b5-c. And b1-k power up with light switch
And b1-j has battery voltage
Also it was a body module under truck we replaced
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Thanks for the update. So we know the module is good. Start inspecting the harness from the firewall to the hood for corrosion and damaged connector pins and wiring. Look under any electrical tape for prior repairs ir pierced harness insulation from test light probing etc. It will likely be a harness issue you will finde if the module is powering those circuits.

pull all visible connectors and inspected -found no corrosion reassemble and still no lights?
What module feeds the box lights and what connector is it-what signals it to work
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

See PDF 28

Outputs

Clearance Lamps

B5.C

Tail Lamps/License Plate Lamp/Trailer Tail

Relay

B1.K*

they both have power with a test light -but it states its a digitial output
what r they looking for
it must then have a duty cycle
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click on this link and verify all your fuses and relays are good as well as their connections. See PDF 16 and 17 for the fuse/relay chart. Also go into the instrument section to pull codes from the dash. Lets see what is logged through the dash display rather than the scan tool to see if it is anything different or more specific.

Drivers Manual

Only thing coming up is ECU128 & BH164
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

You need to press and hold the mode switch to get to the next screen for the full fault codes. 128 means theres and engine ECu fault logged and BH164 is for a fault logged in the bulkhead module. Let me know the faults.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?