Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My caterpillar motor starts runs briefly then dies.

Customer Question

my caterpillar motor starts runs briefly then dies. thoughts? its a 65 hp on a stump grinder
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: when it baes down under heavy load I get quite a bit of black smoke with a fuel filled smell
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'm back
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Please post the complete engine model number and the serial number from the engine tag so I know what engine you have. I log in periodically throughout the day for follow ups and we can post back and forth as needed

Black smoke is overfueling so first check the air filter for restrictions and the turbo for damage and that it spins freely without drag in the bearings engine off/intake boot removed and spinning by hand.

It can also be fuel related or hydraulic if something is holding the engine under a load. Let me know the engine info and I will give you more detailed information for your engine model

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number 3024C I didnt catch your reply about it starting then shutting down in a few moments