Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am having trouble adjusting the injectors on a 855

Customer Question
Cummings with CPL 614. What...
I am having trouble adjusting the injectors on a 855 Cummings with CPL 614. What is the best way to adjust the injectors ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/29/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi It's Dan. I will be glad to help. bare with me while I pull the info

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click this link for the procedure.

Overhead adjustment

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

always verify the settings right on the engine tag on the front cover if the tag still exists.

It still has the valve setting of .11 ,.23, and the zero lash spec for the top stop injectors. The chart looks like the one I was using, but if I set say the injector on 3 or 4 by the time the engine is turned toward C the engine is not movable by hand anymore. Could the injection timing cause such an issue ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

It sound like either the prior settings are not correct or the acc drive may be out of time. What work was done to this engine?

I just got through putting the camshaft back in this engine.The same engine I couldn't get the injection timing to set on till I changed it back to the original camshaft. The acc drive should be in time. The plug was rounded off so I installed it with the front cover off.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Okay. You had the MVT conversion.. I know who you are now. It has been a long day.

Technician: supertech52, Heavy Duty Truck Technician replied 2 years ago
supertech52
supertech52, Heavy Duty Truck Technician

To answer your question"Could the injection timing cause such an issue ?" No, it can cause such an issue. You have the right table it is Table 14-9, that is the only one out of the 4 pages you need.

First off, you need to find out what stroke the engine is on.

So i need you to put a wrench on No. 5 Injector Rocker Lever, and turn the engine in rotation watching that wrench..when it just starts to go up.. you should have a mark coming up on your pulley to align with your notch on the cover. It should be A.

The wrench is just something to watch for so you know you are on the right stroke, then you can follow the instructions on that chart.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, I do not know where the additional attempted help came in but I agree to disagree. I have rebuilt many 855 series, N14, L10, M11 etc. If the Acc drive pulley is not in time You can set the valves and injectors in the wrong position causing them to be too tight. This will cause the engine to bind while trying to bar it over.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

It will also result in bent push tubes if ran or attempted to start. Keep me posted.

I tried to reset the rack using the method suggested and I am still having trouble for some reason. Non of the push tubes have bent so far. The engine turns a little better, but it still seems stiff to turn and I hear a clicking sound like maybe the injectors are bottoming out. The push tubes and injector plungers match the CPL, but I am not sure about the injectors.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok what injectors do you have? Tops stops I recall you saying? What part number? The engine will get a tighter overcoming compression.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Are you using the 6 inch lb t handle torque wrench to set the injectors?

I will have to pull a few and see what the numbers are, but I know we put two when the truck first come in and they ordered for CPL 891. Where are the numbers located on the injectors ? I am using an adjustable torque screwdriver to set the injectors.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

They are on the side of the injector body.... Are they all matching injectors? Just make sure that adjustable is 6 in lbs. I have never used anything other than the 6 inch lb t handle. Not sure if I would trust the adjustable.

I will pull them all first thing in the morning and compare the numbers. I think Snap-On said it is supposed to within 6% accurate. Not sure how that compares to the t handle though.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds good. Let me know. I am not sure either. I never used anything other than the T handle one.

I got all the injectors out and they all have(###) ###-####on them.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok good. Do you think there is a chance that the injectors at any time could have been adjusted too tight? Reason I am asking is that it might be worth having them tested if you have not already done so.

It could be possible that they were too tight.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I would have them tested to be sure there is no damage to the nozzles. A little insurance to not have a smoking or misfiring engine to have to go back in again.

The injectors that were in the truck wouldn't work with the camshaft for 614. Now that I have the new injectors installed the truck cranks fine, but smokes badly and won't accelerate correctly.Even with the pedal all the way to the floor it might go up to 1100 rpm. The linkage part on the pump was never removed so it should be getting full throttle. Would the pump have to be recalibrated to match the new injectors if the flow rate is different ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes you might need a different PT pump all together to match the injectors and non MVT configuration.

Click this link for some troubleshooting

Troubleshooting

The pump does have the 891 cpl stamped on it so the calibration could be wrong. I think they said the injectors for the 614 cpl have a slightly higher flow rate so I should probably pull the pump and take it to a pump shop. I set the timing on -.124 so it shouldn't be the static timing.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I agree. The pump needs to be matched and calibrated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson