Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I changed my glow plugs and glow plug controller but it

Customer Question

I changed my glow plugs and glow plug controller but it still won't start in the cold
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay clicks continuously for 20 seconds after turning key on even after changing all the glow plugs and glow plug controller . the indicator light turns on for not even a second and turns off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The relay that is clicking is getting low voltage to it! Check for voltage at the relay. It has to be battery voltage to close and stay closed, with it rapid clicking, it is not locking closed, so you get no voltage to the glow plugs. If you find low voltage trace back, looking for corroded wires or bad connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The voltage at the relay is not low. I get 12 volts at constant
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is relay closing or just chattering? If chattering , replace the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its clicking constantly through its heat cycle. I already replaced it and new one is doing the same thing. Seeming to be getting good power
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

?? What is battery voltage? Try running a jumper wire from the battery positive p the relay and power it up to see if it still clicks constantly?