Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have E-5526 & E -5527 s-cams with OTR 2287 cam bushing kit

Customer Question

I have E-5526 & E -5527 s-cams with OTR 2287 cam bushing kit on a Trailstar frameless end dump trailer....we haul mostly Sand & Gravel. Prior to installation of the new parts there is between 45 - 60 thousandths of clearance between the new cams (1.487") and new bushings (1.543"). The trailer is in a somewhat harsh and rough environment. The cams appear to be beating out the seals due to vibration and shaking thus resulting in no grease and premature bushing and cam failure...it appears to me that the clearances are too high for our application and environment .. I know that Bronze bushing have tighter clearances between the cams and bushings (.008" - .010") which would result in less movement. ..What are your recommendations on solving this problem of beating out the grease seals and or do I need to change over to Bronze bushings and if so what Bushing kits do I need... Thanks! Robby P.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robby, My name is***** will be glad to help. What is your PM interval on your trailers and also what grease brand and type are you using? this makes a huge difference as cheap greases will wear off quickly. an extreme pressure and environment "sticky" type grease will cost more but save you in the long term on parts life. Tractors and trailers should be greased weekly if they are used daily. These parts are manufactured and machined/made to specs but you may notice longer life with the bronze bushings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grease, Chevron ultra duty - red.
Grease Intervals , once a week 2 weeks at the most.

OK good. Be sure the anchor pins are changed and the drums are in specs and the brakes are in adjustment and slacks both manual and automatic are functioning properly. Make sure all the yokes and clevises are antiseized and not seized putting a strain on the slack adjusters. I am on my way out for a few hours but we can post back and forth as needed.