Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Weve got a 3406b here, serial #3zj2222, the customer brought…

Customer Question
weve got a 3406b here...
weve got a 3406b here, serial #3zj2222, the customer brought it in for new injectors, so we put a set in from cat, the truck idles fine and runs fine at wot, but between about 1200 and 2000 rpm it misses, pings and blows a bunch of white smoke, once you get past that rpm range it clears out and pulls hard. any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/25/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks for asking your question. I can help you with this.

Was it does not this before replacing the injectors?

it ran about the same

Thanks for the information.

There are two things I have seen cause this.

The first is the flyweights in the timing advance are hanging.

Second is the flyweights in the fuel system governor are hanging.

When this happens, the engine will run like this. To confirm the timing advance and the governor would need to be removed and inspected. If they are worn, it will be easy to see.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

does the injector pump have to come off, or where do I look next?

No the pump does not have to come off. Both the timing advance on the front can come off as well as the rear governor assembly. If on is worn, both most likely need rebuilt.

should I take that front cover off and take a peek?

Yes you can take the timing advance cover off. If you have a C pointed advance you can see flyweights. If you have a true B the advance will need to be disassembled.

what am I looking for when I get in there?

If the flyweights are worn. The contacts points of the flyweight will have worn a groove or hole in the race it rides on. If there is a groove or race, it will hang

ok I got the cover off, I pried the weights forward with a screwdriver, should that assembly move freely? it seems to bind up a little bit. then I started it up and watched, just as soon as the weights move forward the engine runs fine

Thanks for the information.

No it will not move freely. You may need to remove and disassemble to see the wear.

at what rpm should that start moving forward?

Normally between 1000 and 1600.

it doesn't move forward till about 1800 rpm

Thanks for the information. That sounds like the advance is slipping. When this happens, the carrier assembly in the advance needs to be replaced. When they go bad. They slip.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.