Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I want to ask your advice. I am buying an 2011 International…

Customer Question
Andy, I want to ask...
Andy, I want to ask your advice. I am buying an 2011 International Prostar with cummin engine. It has 700'000 km. What are the common problems of cummins engine?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/25/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If you are referring to the ISX the most common issues are EGR coolers and EGR system problems, turbo and actuator problems. Injectors average life is 500K where they should be replaced. Let me know if you need more help.

I will check out a truck in edmonton, how am I going to check those things that you mentioned?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Do you have the complete model info?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Look for white smoke running and excelleration, white ash deposits in the exhaust from coolant burning, any current fault codes and running issues.

The only information that I can currently provide is it is an 2011 international prostar, ISX 500HP, 18 speed 13.2 fronts, 46 rears 3.91 axel ration 229 inches WB. This is the only information that I have with the ad. I know more information tomorrow because I will check it.
How can I check the white smoke? Is it after it is warmed up for 15 mins or in the first start?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

An EGR cooler will smoke after warm up and continue to smoke on acceleration. Look in the coolant reservior for oil or sludge and for any signs of coolant in the crankcase oil just for insurance. I am off for the night but we can post back and forth as needed

I looked at the truck today. It has warning engine lights on and filter on the screen
ichecked the cool mixture and it is clear
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I would get the fault codes it has logged to know what circuit has the problems. It is likely DPF aftertreatment system problems and possible EGR. The codes will tell us what circuits have the problems

Good morning i am away now from the international prostar stiĺl try to figure out the repair history forgot to mention to you after i check that i got the vin# ***** can you find the record maintennce
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I can not look dealer information up by VIN but they will be able to do that for you. You will need to get the fault codes read with a scan tool plugged in if the truck does not have the display on the dash to see codes.

When I buy it, i will tell them to fix it before I get it. I want to find out what that check engine warning is about. It says warning engine and a triangle light is flashing. There also a rectangle warning sign that was lit and has words on it. I forgot what the words says. Do u have any idea what these lights mean?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The answer is in the fault codes. They mean there are faults logged. If you can get the fault codes I can look up what they are.

Ok. Another question is, what can you advice about me buying a Maxforce engine? Is it better that cummins engine?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

All have their problems with the strict emissions laws now. Click this link for some FYI

http://www.maxxforceengineproblems.com/maxxforce-overview

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, Did you still need help with this or did you get this resolved?

I havent got it resolved. Its still an on going repair for the engine warning. I also requested an oil check. I'm still waiting for their reply. By the way, what is the difference of rear axcel super 40's and 46? Which one is better?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The differentials are the same but the 46 has heavier axles. Super 40s use the same ring and pinion gears as a 46K Lb rear. The difference is the axle gears and axles are smaller diameter with less splines. Everything else in the center section is the same. The axle housing axle tubes aren't as heavy in the Super 40 versus the 46K lb housing.