cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

Blocked a 2000 5.9 24 v. Hasn't t started since. Code in

Customer Question

Long blocked a 2000 5.9 24 v. Hasn't t started since. Code in active 0364. Will run on gas rag only
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No active codes. Reading thru insite
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

364 is normally a failed vp44 pump or electronic issue such as the vp44 relay ecm.power supply.first check to see if the lift pump is running with the key on. It will not run for long. If the lift pump is bad it could of taken out the vp44. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced. Lift and inj pump. Can sensor and crank sensor and checked relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ecm power supply ?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting power to the vp44 pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rather call when back at truck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine supply voltage reads .50 volts. Can t figure out why. Battery supply reads good and key switch feed reads good
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Ok let's isolate the electronic part. Remove the connector from the VP44 and run a power supply to pin 7 on the pump pin . And run a ground to pin 6 if the engine starts you have a bad Relay,ecm or harness. You should have 12 volts at the vp44 engine harness connection. If the engine does not start with the electronicsame bypassed you have a bad pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ground and 12 volts at those pins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have fuel thru inj lines. Just no high pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vp44 has a 1. 9 voltage drop when cranking
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Install your own wires to the pins on the pump and see if the engine starts. Ensure you Crack all fuel line's to bleed air

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Run my own wires still not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can t be pump. Is the 2nd pump
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Is it timed properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump has no timing. Gear was timed by engine builder
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Really... what is the engine serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
55116a064
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

That is not a good number. Look on the data plate of the engine on the gear housing near the fuel pump. Or the FULL Vin number please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60246662
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Just because it is a new pump does not mean it may work. I have installed many new pumps that are bad out of the box. The test I provided you with applind an isolated power supply from the battery to pin 7 and a clean ground to pin 6 to the pins IN THE PUMP. allows the fuel pump to operate in an idle only condition and verifys the failure of the pump. The vp44 only needs power and aground to start the engine . I would suggest rechecking and ensuring ou put the right pin in the right location. remember the connector may be flopped. I highlighted the locations but look for the smiley face in THE PUMP connector to test. I would also check the pump and return it if needed under the warranty for the new part.

VP44 installation and timing procedure

The fuel pump driveshaft must be clean and free of all oil before installation. Failure to do so can result in the drive gear slipping on the shaft.

bar the engine over so the keyway on the gear is at the 12-o'clock position when installing the fuel pump. This position can be found by taking the oil fill or fuel pump gear access cap off, whichever applies, and aligning the keyway in the fuel pump gear to the top dead center (TDC) position on the front cover. In this position the line on the fuel pump gear will be approximately in the 5-o'clock position.

Install the pump. Make sure the key does not fall into the gear housing. Take care not to damage the pump mounting o-ring.

When installing the fuel pump, the dowel in the back of the gear housing must line up with the hole in the pump mounting flange, as well as the keyway in the gear.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Make sure the lines are bled too . It should start no problem because this code is for the electrical part such as ecm, relay or harness. But those failing too can back feed the system and damage the pump's computer. I have only seen that 2 times in my 17 years at Cummins. we replaced the pump, ecm and relay and all was good. I wouldn't run out and buy an ecm, but if you can get a test one to try before you have to buy one it saves time and money

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is reading good thru e c m. But I can't figure out how I m loosing fuel pressure or if something has vp 44 shut off.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Sir,, with the test procedure i told you to perform pin 7 power from battery and 6 to clean ground the engine should start without the aid of the ecm, relay or harness You don't know everything is running good thru the ecm as the are things you cannot check without replace in or testing ecm. The fault is for No communications or invalid data transfer rate detected on datalink between the ECM and fuel pump control module at pins 4 and 13 of the engine harness.. and you should be able to run the engine with the test i told you to verify or the pump is also a factor in the failure. fault code 364 causes are as follows:

• The datalink is used to communicate fueling and timing commands, as well as pump status messages. If the datalink is lost, the pump will operate in backup mode based on idle signal (pin 4 at fuel pump connector).
  • This fault code will be active if the fuel pump power supply is inadequate.
  • When troubleshooting for this fault, suspect that one or a combination of the following can be the cause: The ECM, fuel pump, or wiring harness/fuses/relay.
  • Possible failed lift pump

All I need to know if your engine starts with isolated power applied to the correct pins. If not than the pump is also bad. Its a simple check and performed during troubleshooting..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts neither way
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

It should start if the pump is good .and the air is out the lines.............then replace the pump under cummins warranty. return the pump to Cummins and get another and properly install in and recheck. But you still need to check the pump for misinstallation and gear slippage

Where are you located at???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Florida. And 2 pumps bad. Highly unlikely
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Ok.since you know that it is not the pump. What do you think it is then when you have everything else isolated and the pump is not connected to the engine harness, only your 2 wires???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is something stupid. Like engine not timed right.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Well if you installed a long block the crank and cam are timed At the factory. You can double check the marks by removing the front cover.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just following up, Please dont forget to rate my service. And if you suspect an issue with the long block Contact Cummins as the repair would be under warranty as long as it was not a part that you installed.