Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have just inframed a 1995 detroit diesel 60 series 12.7 L.

Customer Question

Hi there. I have just inframed a 1995 detroit diesel 60 series 12.7 L. the problem is at about 1500 rpm there seems to be a unusual rattle/clatter from the top end. i put reman injectors in and double checked valve injector and jake lash set trim codes. problem was still there. i did not touch the front cover except the diamond plate to get cam gear off of cam. its not possible to get base gear timing off is it? any ideas? thnx Ben
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ben, My name is***** will be glad to help. Clatter/Rattle from the upper end and timing cover is not a good sign. Check and verify the overhead and injector settings and timing is correct. If so the look for a potential bull gear failure occurring. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it isn't possible for cam gear to have jumped a tooth or won't it matter cause the cam has a guide pin anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is it ECM going bad and messing up timing at certain rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what Wud have changed since I frame? It wasn't a genuine Detroit in frame kit and neither was head.. But that prob Shudnt matter..

it is hard to say not hearing the noise but either way you wil need to retrace your steps and the most common possible thing to look for is the timing slightly off and if ok verify the injector height settings and overhead adjustments..... Click on this link Let me know

Valve and overhead

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell if timing is off there is no place to pin engine on TDC on number 1 piston and I don't see any marks to line up on balancer. Or am I missing something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thnx for the manual I will definitely use it! Can u send me the part where it says how to time all the gear train?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still can't imagine that being off tho it runs great! Little bit sluggish off get go but then it'll put out 30psi of boost and Normal power and Jake's all work.. It's just that stupid rattle I don't want to return it to my customer like this.

Just verify the cam if changed is correct as well. It is possible also to be off a tooth...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so to verify that I will have to pull off whole front structure cover or what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the old cam and simply lined up the dowel pin with gear I thot it wasn't possible to get it out of time. Cause of that pin.. I know I didn't use a holder to hold it in place cause I didn't have any.. I turned the engine over a lot doing bearing roll and stuff

Yes the front timing cover has to be removed.... Look at PDF page 36... I believe yours is likely older than the models with the compact gear as in the manual.... Im off for the night. It is after 2 am... We can follow up as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey is there such a thing as a brass fuel restrictor elbow in the rear of the cylinder head in the outlet fuel port ?

Its called a restricted orfice and it is a 90 degree fitting at the rear of the head the return line connects to....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thnx... I Thnk I found most of smoking problem... When I put head on for ease of Assembly I used regular JIC straight fittings to connect fuel lines easier... Because it was a short hood and there was very little clearance... So I will have to put restrictor back in the return line somewhere.. Thnx for your help

Ahhhhh yes that could do it. Its a pleasure to help

Let me know if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U don't happen to know which port is return? Upper or lower? Does it matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.. We finally got it together ran quite a bit better although the tap returned after a few min. We found a very tight rocker arm on the rocker shaft.. So we put 2 new/reman shafts rockers and everything... But on the test drive right after we used the Jake brake the noise all sudden became a lot worse.. Any ideas? It changes with engine speed... And we still have about 40 psi oil pressure... Hopefully it's not in the bottom end like a bad bearing or something. That would really suck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to run reasonably smooth

Drop the oil pan and check the rod and main bearings for excessive wear. I would do that next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we finally solved it.. it turned out number 1 piston broke around the wrist pin on one side..so it made a clatter also piston was hittn head.. number 3 was right ready to break too.. we used the aftermarket kit from PAI .. those two pistons were missing the little bushings where the wrist pin goes. i guess quality control aint good in aftermarket. very frustrating for us! its the bolt on rod so i never removed pin.. just thot id let u know. thnx for all your help

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it resolved. Pleasure to help.