Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2004 530E come into the shop today, it is in afire

Customer Question

I have a 2004 530E come into the shop today, it is in afire truck pumper. The engine will die immedantly when you key the two way radio Mike or even with a hand held radio. This creates no codes or not even a flicker on the computer screen. We tried a different cam sensor with no effect.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

How is the radio connected? Is it direct on the battery for both power and ground? You are certainly getting some radio interference, but where is the question.

Have you grounded the antennae direct to the frame and not on the body to get rid of the loop?

Let me know of this to see if I can assist or if I need to have a mobile radio tech assist in grounding the radio so it doesn't interfere with the engine computer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeremy, I tried cleaning grounds,I have ran extra grounds to frame, cab, radio and antenna. I ran positive from battery to cab and radio. Tried disconnecting alternator. This engine will also fail with hand held radio, if you are far enough away it will increase engine speed then as you get closer engine will miss finally it will kill engine. ThIs engine dies just like you cut the key, it is immediate when you key Mike then as soon you release Mike it will resume, no miss or stammer. It doesn't matter if at idle or full throttle.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

There is definitely a radio interference issue on the engine.

I will see if I can get a mobile radio specialist involved with this to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeremy I noticed this radio will dim the fluorescent light above the truck when you key the Mike.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a test ECM today with no change.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

There is a issue either in the radio pulling too much power, weak batteries, or there is an issue with how it is connected up.

The issue isn't truck related, it is radio related. It has to do with the radio and how it was installed.

I don;t work in that side of the electronics and I asked for this to be attached with the mobile electronics guys. I'm hoping one of them can chime in here and assist with how it should be installed since I deal with the CAN BUS side. I don't deal with the radio comm side.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I asked for a moderator to assist and I will opt out to open this up so they can locate a radio repairman that will be able to see what they can do for this. Hopefully we have on on here.

Thanks.