Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2001 fl70 freightliner w eatonton auto transmission…

Customer Question
I have 2001 fl70 freightliner...
I have 2001 fl70 freightliner w eatonton auto transmission with clutch, when I turn on ignition, will not go into gear. It just clicks. Service light comes on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
If possible you can call ***-***-**** to walk me through solution
2/24/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

CLICK HERE to pull the codes on the transmission display. A call will not help at this time until a code can be pulled.

If you don't have the shift display, the only option is to have the transmission scanned to get the code. Without that code, there is no real way of knowing what component failed to cause the solenoids to not activate and allow shifting.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

How can you find error codes?

Do you have the shift display showing the gear you are in? With that you do the process I posted above where it says to click and follow the instructions to get the codes as well as how to erase the codes. If you don't have the display, still do the reset of the codes to get the trans to activate for you so you can go to a shop and have the codes pulled with a laptop.

Some of the 2001 dashes will show codes, but I'm not sure if the FL70 has that display or not. I do know the FL80s do.

I was able to get codes. Showing 14 and 16. When I turn on ignition, 10 is displayed and then it goes blank. Sometimes the gears come up RNDHL but will not engage. Service light comes on

14 - Invalid shifter range and/or voltage. This will need some evaluating to the shifter pad and the wiring going to it. There is a short detected in it and that code alone will not let the transmission shift into gear. The reason is the shifter doesn't know if the gear is commanded or if the shifter is malfunctioning causing the gear command.

10 - Low battery voltage to TECU. Check the battery connections between the batteries and the transmission. I would start with battery connections to the main power point under the hood, driver side wheel well, to the relay, then to the transmission.

16 - Eaton Proprietary Link Fault. This on is the one that concerns me the most. The reason is every time I have seen this code, a short from poer has shorted the TECU where I have always had to replace the TECU. The only way to test this is with the software to see if this is caused by a power issue or if the TECU is bad and needs to be replaced.

I will check connections tomorrow and may request phone conversation after that

Ok then.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician