Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

M11 ***** *****
, truck sat months ,,, changed fuel…

Customer Question
M11 ***** ***** ...

M11 ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Truck sat for 5 months ,,, changed fuel filter,chased fuel lines ,blew back in tanks ,pressured the tanks ,no restrictions , truck runs after filter refill and starting fluid, only at high rmp . will not run at an idle.......... is there a filter in the pump ?? or do you want money first ??

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Have been waiting ,or is this after hours?
Did you recieve my deposit
2/23/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Ron, My name is***** will be glad to help. The availability of experts varies depending on your question and the time of day you post. we can post back and forth as needed. What is the engine model and serial number? Is the check engine light on indicating there are fault codes logged? If so what codes do you have? Check for air bubbles on the suction and return side installing a clear hose or sight glass inline. Check your fuel pressure and compare to specs. Let me know

another day waisted trying to make it stay running grrr. I bought a fuel pressure guage ,but never used it .lol the fuel shoots out of the return side .. the truck runs at high rpm and lots of power no hesitation ,then dies ,restarts with a shot of either .. I put fuel pick up line from pump into a new can of fuel , same thing... I'm thinking cam sensor ? I am not sure about codes .. cam sensor is cheapest of all and does so much . should I ?
how do you manually by pass the fuel cylenoid?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

thanks for the update Ron. Is this an M11? what model engine as all your info did not post... If so there is an engine position sensor and also verify you are not loosing power to the fuel shut off solenoid signal wire from the ECM as it gets power from the ECM. The older PT systems allowed a manual bypass screw but there is none on the M11 for the fuel shutoff.

I ran the truck with a hot wire to the fuel cylanoid ,truck ran at high rmp half hour ?maybe more ..... idle down dies... fire it up with either runs high rpm only... the odd intermitent studder same as normal.. tell me the engine sensor please..I have the original ecm from last spring when it was replaced and did nothing differant ,,no returns so I kept it ..lol they replaced the eps and it fixed .. 1994 cummins m11
sucked fresh fuel from a bucket ,by passed ecm cooling plate and filter,,,,same thing..grr
no sight glass installed ,but eliminated chances of air in fuel.held my thumb on fuel intake line and cranked it ...good sucktion
I will pick up a eps in the am . agreed ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Thanks for the updated info. Lets back up as some things you mentioned stood out to me. With the key on the check engine light should come on and cycle with the key. If not your ECM has either lost power or ground, a harness problem, or other internal issues. Check for a blown inline fuse between the battery box and ECM from the battery POS post

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I did not know you bypassed the fuel shutoff with direct power..... The ECM controls the throttle and fuel on this engine as well as the fuel shutoff so as far as the ECM is concerned the engine is not running if it has not powered the fuel shutoff and does not have EPS signal

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Confirm the ECM is communicating first and the CEL is coming on with key on.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Then if so and the ECM has power and grounds along with switched power check for power to the fuel shutoff solenoid from the ECM. Let me know.... If all that is confirmed it is possible the EPS is faulty

check engine light goes eratic . sometimes the injector still clicks after key is off,hit crank it goes out . fuel cylanoid clicks on and off ,,ecm power to cylanoid eratic,Thats when I disconnected the wire and put a hot on to keep it on. either way the truck runs high rpm only. with starting fluid kick
All connections from battery clean and secure.... battery power disconnected for storage .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

You have ECM power issues and we need to correct that before this engine will run right. We need to confirm Battery power at the ECM plug is 12 V and voltage is not coming from the starter but straight from the POS of the battery.... That causes more problems on the N14 and M11 engines, etc causing low ECM power and eventually killing the ECM along with causing drivability issues from low voltage

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Also take a close look at all grounds and clean and tighten the connections. There is a boor connection somewhere. If it is going to the ECM supply and is resolved after correcting then good but if the supply tests good and all grounds check good but the ECM output power is erratic then that is an indication of a bad ECM

I have the origanal ECM from last spring , mechanic changed it ,but did the same thing. so I kept it . it cost thousands . new eps and away she went for 6 months of bliss,parked five months .same thing .. I believe you helped me . new eps is where I'm going .lol runs so good wound up ???
check eng light ,injector clicking ,and fuel cylanoid all click together
eps first then ecm . pretty confident of connections
new batteries
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Try the EPS and let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

It's a pleasure to help Ron

I will in the morning ,,working conditions are in a field ,mud and all ,but will be nice tomorrow
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

That is always fun. Keep me posted.

Well the weather was better today thats about it .. the new eps didn't solve the problem, and putting the old ecm back in didn't solve the problem...when I disconnect the ecm what wires should have power?? three plugs ??
two hots and a ignition ? and a ground
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

See PDF pg 10

Diagram

I just u tubed ,plug closest block on ecm , 4 hots and ingnition .... #1 page is closest to a m11.
everything clicks when key is on . clicks on and off that is
tomorrow is another day,,, might have to give up ..I will meter power and start all over in the morning
failing that tow truck
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Test the power and grounds tomorrow with your volt ohm meter. The diagram is for M11 and N14 I posted... if you have power and grounds id try having the ECM bench tested and reflashed to see if it will take a reflash....

I will test the power tomorrow , 4 hot, key makes 5 ? one ground ?
don't think anywhere in this town can check a ecm
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Read through this troubleshooting... It will go into more detail.... 4 hot, 3 ground, one key switched

Troubleshooting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
have the ecm out now,,4 power 5 when key on ,,, 4 grounds ?? plugs on page 10 ? don't see them . page 9 is the style ,but now power pin on scematic?
plug closest to block has the power and grounds. should I be getting more than one ground ? if the scematic for that plug was here I could see where the grounds are coming from? what pin should be ground?
Maybe something is grounding out ?
I put the old ecm back in it did the same thing ,,, no place to test them in Chilliwack ..... clicks on and off on and off,,,, truck runs high rpm for a while .... grrr........... wasn't the ecm last year ,but was changed ,but did the same on off on off, putting the new old on back in now .....
ok now ... i have a ground on 16 and 18 as well ..throtle position sensor,18 stop eng lamp 16 ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm out on the road today but will have to look into this when I get back. Showing continuity to ground on those sensors? Check the harness for shorts and damage and ecm grounds....

well nothing works,starts with either and runs at high rpm,, drove the truck out of the mud .. going to drive it to the mechanic on saturday, unless you have another plan .lol all lights are off no flashing when reved up.And runs smooth , come around 10 or 11 rpm dies
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Will it not idle? Does it stay at high RPM? Try key on press the throttle pedal to the floor slowly and back to the top 3 times to calibrate the TPS. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Check for a fuel return restriction or excessive return pressure building.

I had a clear (see threw) return hose from head to tank ,,same thing,,, no restrictions ... I will try the fuel pedal three time thing with the key on . remember everything flashes on and off when key is on untill reved up
If that works ...haha!! 4 days on this thing ...
I did have no power to the ecm for 5 months ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

What is the year make and model of this truck?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Depends on your dealer. the dealer i worked for had test bench harnesses

It is a 1994 freightliner fl 60 i think
The dealer is not in this town ,only qualified mechanic shops
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Ahhhh OK.... I am not sure if I have schematics for a 94.... Keep me updated

Ok that one is at a shop out of my hair ,, how about front signals on a 2004 4900 international ,rear singals work fine ,,fronts don't. is there a seperate fuse for the fronts ?? changed bulbs
4 ways don't work on the front neither .
all plugs look connected under hood
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I sent over an additional service offer for your new question. I can get you full schematics for that model to help you.

I was giving you a chance to get at least one truck ready for MVI .lol I figured you charged after the problem was solved so I thought I would ask you a easier one to make us all feel better. I have used the just ask only once before and it never got it running then either .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Good Morning Ron. Haha, I hear ya. I have a repair business and help on here in between jobs for some extra cash as I am able. The experts arent paid employees of the site. Credentials are verified to be able to use the site and the site splits the question value with the expert for positive feedback and accepted answers so until either our time is voluntary. So you want to ask questions about 2 trucks on one thread? Will there be three or four once I put in the time to dig through schematics, etc ? we can continue here on the M11 as needed and for the international I recommend you open a new question. I have full schematics but unless you ask for me specifically there might be another expert that helps you. You do not need to accept the additional services but the site likes to keep questions for different vehicles separate. I agree with that and understand why.

You told me you had no scematics for the 1994 frieghtliner ,so I gave up and drove it to a shop .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

94 vintage chassis schematics for Freight liner arent easy to come by even the dealer will have to do some digging in the archives but the engine schematics I could help with.